Y should the rich pay more?

I am in no way rich, quite the opposite, I just pay my bills. Even still I dont think you should have to pay more for taxes just because you have more to pay. Why penalize hard workers, successful people. Im not saying people who make less work less, but obviously people pay alot for a reason. If rich people have to pay more taxes should they have to pay more for other things? should all drs appt be sliding scale, or clothes shopping. Y more far taxes and nothing else? I know this may stir the pot, but I dont understand y someone should pay more because they earned more.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A lot of the time rich people hire a high dollar lawyer that knows all the loophole and it saves them lot's of money in taxes, then the rest of us like middle class that works there butt of putting in tons of hours and work more then one job just to keep there family upfloat end up having to pay taxes out of there ass and can never get ahead.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• me and hubby bring in roughly 200k a year and get taxed up the wazhoo but its funny cause we live simple every other way and save a lot, but we get taxed like we live the high life
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I don't think they should get taxed more. I believe in a flat tax, no loopholes, no deductions - just a flat % off your gross.

Answer by missanc at 2:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• They have more deductions and don't pay the whole tax bill you know this right? I think we need a flat tax.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You make more you pay more
    It has ALWAYS been that way .
    MY FIL pays alot of taxes and he is a tax lawyer and The most recommended one on the east coast. He usually ends up getting all his taxes back in his return .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It is an equity issue. Plus, they do get ton of money back in deductions.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• yea.... but wish i could get the kid credit back 2 lol
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Anons - the top 10% of earners pay 80% of the taxes - you know this, right?

Answer by missanc at 3:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Because if the poor were to pay more, it would literally take food off of their table.

But the rich can afford to pay more.

Think about it.

If a family makes 30k per year and they pay a flat 25% tax rate, they will be paying 7,500 in taxes every year, which brings their earnings down to 22,500. That extra 7500 is important to their survival.

Whereas a famiy who makes 200,000 per year paying 25% in taxes can afford to pay the 50,000 and it won't hurt their survival.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• http://www.american.com/archive/2007/november-december-magazine-contents/guess-who-really-pays-the-taxes

"The latest data show that a big portion of the federal income tax burden is shoul­dered by a small group of the very richest Americans.

The wealthiest 1 percent of the population earn only 19 per­cent of the total income earned in America, income but they paid 37 percent of the income tax.

The top 10 percent paid 68 percent of the total tax revenue.

Meanwhile, the bottom 50 percent earn 13 percent of the total income, but pay just 3 percent of the taxes. " 2007

141,100,000 folks paid some tax + 47 million got refunds
    Total income tax revenue 2007 = $1,115,504 million
    .1%; .............1,411 people paid ..$ 450,926 million ... $ 81,859,673. each
    10%; ..14,107,097 people paid ..$ 794,432 million ... $ 56,314. each
    50%; 117,535,485 people paid .$ ...32,261 million ..........$274 each
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2009