So is Your Baby Can Read a Good Idea? I've seen the commercials and I am considering taking the leap for my 11month old..any thoughts?

My son knows a few words now, and enjoys to look at certain videos and loves books, but is this program really good for kids this young? How many hours a week does a baby have to practice before he or she is reading and is 11months old too young to start? I am a new mom and I could really use some advice from some mom who have used the product or just has some thoughts to share.

learningasigomo

Asked by learningasigomo at 2:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's just memorizing, it's a crock. Let the baby be a baby and just read to him.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/search.php?keyword=my+baby+can+read&submit=Search

click that.. this question has been pounded in the ground worse then a dead horse
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My SIL just called to ask me to look this up on the internet to find out how much it is. For almost $200 ($215 if you do the trial first) I think that it is a joke. I mean my mother used to take the time at night to read to us and we turned out fine. I think most parents just don't want to take the time to teach and work with their kids. I will definitely read the other poster's link.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You can also make your own flash cards. It appears that all they do is show baby a card with the word "clap" and then you say clap and show him/her how to clap..so it's all memory. Just teach your child yourself and use the same concept.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree with Angeleyez08.
    You can just read to your baby and sound out the words, and when your baby gets bigger get him some leap frog "letter factory" dvd's and they work fabulouse, my son learned his abc's upper and lower case letters and he learned his sounds after watching it like a few times, they are great dvd's and they don't cost no $200
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My son is almost 5 and has Down's, so I did buy the DVDs off Ebay to work with him. He's picked up some of it but he is also in school for 3 1/2 hours a day and then I work with him at home with a PreK book that we just got. We figured since he's not talking yet we could help him learn to read so that he can use flash cards to let us know what he wants.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 3:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• IT. IS. NOT. READING.

There is a search feature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• lol... I don't know much about it, but a girl in our playgroup got it as a gift from baby's grandparents. She said it was a crock! I keep doing what you're doing with books, etc. And there is always Sesame Street :-)
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 6:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Really, the annon feature is so much more annoying than this question being posted 5 times a day. People use it so they can be as rude as possible, bc they feel hidden. Get a life and stop being such a miserable person.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 9:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009