can i mix m baby's cereal with formula even though she's breastfed?

my daughter's strictly breastfed n i'm gonna start her on food next week (she's 5 n a half months). i stoppedpumping a few weeks ago and don't really feel like starting again.... after i used up all my stored milk, can i start mixing her cereal with formula i got free at the doctor's office... even though she never had formula before? it just seems simplier to me.... but i'm not sure if it's ok

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I suppose so.... if you ease/wean her onto it gradually. she could have a lactose allergy or tummy upset.... anything is possible
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't! Why not use breast milk?
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yep, it's fine. I breastfed and formula supplemented b/c pumping never worked for me. And I used formula for my kids' cereal.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 2:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i just don't want to pump anymore- op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I always used just water for my babies' cereal. I'm sure formula would be fine, it was just easier for me to use the filtered tap water.

Answer by missanc at 3:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You could just mix it with water and feed it to her with a spoon. If you don't work I don't understand why you would need to pump anyway.

Also, babies can't digest cereal until they are closer to a year. They don't have enough of the enzyme amylase to break it down. I started my daughter on fruits and veggies when she was 6 months. There's not really any nutrition in the baby cereal anyway... none that is absorbable.

I guess you could do that, but I'd just go straight to fruits and veggies. Why bother with formula when your milk is so much more nutritious and fruits and veggies are more nutritious than the cereal, you know?

Whatever you decide I know you will do it right and introduce new foods slowly. You're doing a good job, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think it is fine. I always used water until my boys could drink milk, but i don't see any reason you can;t use formula.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I always used formula or water for my son's cereal. (he was breastfed). Just make sure you start out the first few times making it really really thin and only give a few small bites. My friends fed their daughter about 1/4 cup the first time, of nectar consistancy because she was enjoying it so much. She threw it all up a few minutes later!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If baby tolerates the formula, you can do that. Some babies don't.

You can make it even easier. Don't do the cereal at all. Mashed avocado or banana are easy first foods...peel, mash, serve. No mixing required.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It's fine to use formula if you wish, or it can be mixed with just water as mentioned above.

If it can't be digested before closer to a year then why is it always recommended as a first food? As for nutrition, you've obviously not read the side of the box. (ati 13) It's so funny sometimes how misinformed some people are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009