Leaking fluids...what is this?

I was walking thru Wal-mart and felt a little gush and my panties felt really wet. I had on a pany liner and it stayed on that. It was clear with a little pink in it. What could it be? I'm 37 weeks.

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It could be your mucus plug?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Often times the baby kicks the bladder and we involuntarily tinkle a bit. But the pink might mean that you're losing some of your mucous plug (and a bit of dilating).
    If it were your amniotic fluid you might notice it continuing to drip (or gush).
    You could see how quickly you fill a maxi pad IF you think it's A.F.
    Be sure to drink a lot of water, rest, and watch. Just in case, remember nothing in the vagina until you are positive.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Your membranes may have ruptured. When the "bag of water" breaks, it is not always a gush, sometimes its a trickle. Is it continuing to happen, or was it just that one time?

A first time mom can lose her mucous plug a few weeks before labor starts. Its usually greenish/brown/yellow/pink. For a repeat mom, the mucous plug is lost very close to labor, i mean like 48 hours or less before labor starts.

So, if it is your mucous plug...no big deal...dont run to the hospital until the contractions are about 5 minutes apart for one hour.

If its your bag of water, call you doctor or go the hospital. You and your baby can get an infection if the bag is broke too long before labor actually starts.

So, don't guess, just call your doc.
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If it was your bag, it would've kept gushing throughout the day. Doulala has it right. Every time you stand up, you would get a little gush. That's how mine was.
    Toward the end of your pregnancy, you get a lot of discharge, and it can easily be mistaken for your water. I had a false alarm trip to labor and delivery with watery discharge that was exactly that. I couldn't believe that much discharge was normal.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2009