All the hype about 'wizarding books/shows...

Why? It's fictional right? All of our kids are bright enough to know what is real and what is fake right? I don't remember anyone jumping up and down in a tizzy over Sabrina the Teenage witch or the smurfs for that matter when I was a child. Or Care Bears or Rainbow bright...All contained Magic and or 'Wizardry' When did all of this become so pertinent to some people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why do we have to bring this drama up again-

Who made you the Q&A police? All you ever do is whine about questions. If you don't like them, don't read them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Sheesh, what have I missed that's brought this back to the frontburner?

I remember outcry over the Smurfs -- they were all immoral and stuff because there was all those boy Smurfs and just the one Smurfette. People were saying some of the craziest crap on this, and it's like, hello? Cartoon here; get a life. Seriously, who are these people who have nothing better to think about than the off-camera sex life of animated characters?

Personally, I think hissy fits over wizard stuff are just as ridiculous. Don't like it, don't watch. Very basic little exercise called CHANGE THE FLIPPIN' CHANNEL. For me, bring it on...I love wizard-y stuff. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Uh . . .
    It's not a big deal to me.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Well at least in my denom there was an uproar over all of those I know for Sure Sabrina cause duh she's a witch. But Seventh Day Adventists have a message from their prophet that says that Fictional stories aren't that great, and if our kids don't read them they will not suffer for it spiritually. But honetly I believe that as long as you don't want to become a wizard, go out and practise actaul magic that' you're ok. But i'm not God and God says in the bible even THINKING about doing something you have sinned. So ik, I say pray about it it's what I am doing.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think anything can be made evil if you look hard enough, IMO there is nothing wrong with any of it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• There used to be a show called the Eagle's Nest. They called all of them evil. Smurfs were demonic because they were blue with black mouths. The Care Bear Stare was sorcery. In every generation, there are nutjobs who think their faith can be destroyed by imagination. They never seem to explain why they don't protest Sesame Street, The Wizard of Oz or Cinderella, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Oh no, NP, The Wizard of Oz has been decried and banned in places all over the country for various and sundry reasons since publication in 1900. And in the mid 80's, torch-wielding villagers in Greenville, TN went batshit crazy over it (as well as Cinderella and many other works of fantasy) because not only were there witches in it, but because Dorothy does not ask god for help to get back home, or thank him for anything. It spread well past their little town, too. I wrote three papers on this in college. I'm obsessed with all things Oz anyway, and I abhor censorship, so those were some easy A's. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I forgot about the Smurfs being evil because of their color, too. And the Care Bear thing. I remember that crazy mess, too. Didn't the Gummy Bears take some heat when they came along, too?
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• teamquinn, how do you know the OP isn't new and just noticing this behavior.

Anonymous

• Teamquinn:: If you want NOTHING to EVER be brought up AGAIN then we may as well end this whole Q&A section don't ya think? I mean let's face it there are only so many questions one can ask in each category you have like 300 people contributing that about covers it. I have never seen an original question on here

OP I dunno. It all seem stupid to me. People need to just get a grip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009