how clean is your house?

I think my house is clean but then the thought of my in-laws coming over on Sunday makes me think my house id an absolute wreck. How clean is your house normally compared to when you have company? Do you make a big fuss over nothing?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• We we have company over I see all the imperfections. I clean through out the day everyday. When I know someone is coming over all the sudden I realize the DVDs aren't alphabetical order or the base boards need to be scrubbed with a toothbrush or something else crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Oh when I have company I clean EVERYTHING! Mainly 'cause my husband will be pissed at me if I don't. I actually cleaned the house today while my DD was napping, but now there are toys and books all over the floor again.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• When i have company coming.........its absolutely gutted! lol, but to be honest, its never filthy, never dirty...just sometimes a little cluttered as three kids 4 and under, plus a degree/work to manage...its not easy!
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 3:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I generally keep my house tidy, except for toys here and there. My kitchen is my #1 priority. It always has to be clean...I obsess too much about it sometimes! When company comes over, the house has to be spotless. My dh doesn't even care though, because it's usually his army buddies, and he says that they don't care about a messy house, but I don't care, I don't want people to think I'm a bad housekeeper.
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I totally freak out and super clean everything in sight when company is coming. I like for it to be that way all the time, but it just isn't going to happen. Two year olds are NOT conducive to pristine homes. Besides, my DS won't care if I superclean all the time. He WILL care if I ignored him.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The house is clean enough. I don't eat off the floor and the dishes do get piled up through the day. There are toys always on the floor, and the buffet says cluttered. But my in laws and own parents did not keep a very clean house, so I don't stress over them. Now complany I wish my house was cleaner. THen I feel like it is mess.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I feel the same as you. My house in general is clean. I would not like the idea of anyone stopping by unexpected. If i know someone is coming over I'll clean. I'd say it's more messy than dirty. Big difference.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 3:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I used to stress when people were coming over and want everything to be superclean, but I've calmed down A LOT and realized that it's okay if my baby has his toys all over the living room, and my kids left the Wii remotes in the middle of the floor or if there's dishes in the kitchen sink. My house is clean, but not always neat and it's okay - I have more important things to do, like spend time with my dh and kids.

Answer by missanc at 3:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I try to keep the house pretty clean. I can't stand having the house be a mess, especially when company is coming over. We have company over almost every weekend, plus people often stop by in the middle of the week. The house does get cluttered. I have 2 kids with ADHD (so they're great at making messes) & they're homeschooled, so there's always toys, school projects, school books, etc to pick up. Since the house is kept pretty clean it only takes a few min to pick that stuff up.
    I always do extra cleaning for holidays or parties, even though I try to deep clean each room every week, I always feel more could be done.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 3:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my house is lived in...we have a little bit of clutter here and there and if company comes over i do a quick clean and sometimes we just shove everything in my bedroom and shut the door lol. most days the dishes wait til the kids are asleep (2 y.o and 9 months) and laundry may stay on the kitchen table till i have time to put it away, my toddlers room looks like a toy box exploded and the 9 month old room has stuffed animals all over the place so when company arrives i makes sure we pick up toys and put away laundry and wash some dishes if there are any...i try to keep most things done weekly ( bathrooms and all that)
    singlemom4God

Answer by singlemom4God at 4:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009