when I was away for a week, my loving husband....

left soda and beer cans in sink, now we have a ton of fruitflies
(thank you for that welcome home present)

what can i do to get rid of them,

I of course cleaned the kitchen, put any food away, any kitchen garbage is now out of the house, wiped down counters, basically did the kitchen the way I left it.
I read on internet this morning about leaving a pan of soda out with plastic wrap over it tight and poke little holes in it, tried that...you would think that one of those pesky little things would go in there=NO not one

any household remedies to get rid of those things!!

(burning down the house is not an option, although it has crossed my mind) lol

boredmom44

Asked by boredmom44 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I found these online:

Wine works great. But it has to be red. add a little bit of dish soap to wine (too break the surface tension so they will drown) not just hang out do the back stroke, and drink all your wine (theres nothing worse than drunk F.F. ) Just leave about an inch of wine in old wine bottle,add soap they fly in but they dont fly out R.I.P. F.F. GOOD LUCK

2 TBSP SUGAR
    1/2 CUP VINEGAR
    1TSP DISH SOAP

POUR MIXTURE INTO A CUSTARD CUP [1 CUSTARD CUP PER RECIPE]. TRY NOT TO CREATE SOAP SUDS WHEN MOVING IT. IT WILL TAKE A BIT, BUT THE FRUIT FLIES WILL BE ATTRACTED TO IT AND WILL DROWN IN THE MIXTURE.

It really does work.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Equal parts vinegar and water in a glass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'd read to use vinegar instead of soda. Set it around different areas, and when you find the one with the most flies, you'll have a better idea where they are coming from, although from the cans left out sounds like you already know. But they might be from inside plants or from drains, even.

Answer by Bmat at 3:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• thanks i am on the vinegar thing

funny thing he left out on the kitchen counter a big plastic jar of vinegar...however THIS had the top screwed back on top...go figure

thanks, any other hints, help add them, i will try them all!
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It's tacky, but those no-pest strips that hang from the ceiling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• And this:

I'm inundated w/ the little pests!! I finally have gotten rid of every source and now am trying to get rid of the adults. I found this university site that said to put a few ounces of cider vinegar in a jar then place a paper funnel in it. I did it 1/2 hr ago and have already snagged about 10 of the remaining l
    BridgetC140