how much sleep is normal for a one year old??

my son just turned one and he has always been very happy and active but the past month or so he has been cryin so much as if he was tired. he sometimes will take three naps in a day for about an hour or more. and goes to bed by like 8pm and wakes around 7 or 8am. it just seems liek a lot of sleep all of a sudden. i was just wondering if anyone has experienced the same change in a child.

misspierce

Asked by misspierce at 3:35 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I actually think every child is different. Ever since my daughter was born she wouldn't sleep much during the day. She pretty much slept through the night when she was younger. Now she sleeps the whole night through, Since about 2 months. I guess my dh and I are lucky. From what I hear this is not the case with most babies.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 3:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You child may have hit a growth spurt. My LO just got up from a 3 1/2 hour nap and she will need one again soon. My DD is 14 mos and sleeps 12-14 hours at night and takes at least 2 naps during the day for about 1 1/2- 2 hours. Just let him sleep. He needs it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Sleep is good! My 15 month old only sleeps 10 hours a day (24 hour period). If my kiddo wanted to sleep, i would soooo let him!
    jubes

Answer by jubes at 6:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My 19 month old son leeps 11 hours at night and takes 2 naps every day, his first nap 2 hours, second nap about an hour. 14 hours total, its nice cause I take a nap in the morning with my kids, my daughter will be 4 in Dec and still takes at least an hour long nap during the day and sleeps about 9 to 10 hours at night. I am assuming its a growth spurt because my daughter didnt used to take a nap at all and son only used to take one afternoon nap. Hope this helps
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2009