My son is 6 months and still sleeps between my husband and i...And when i put him in his crib he starts screaming and i start to feel horrible any advice on how to make the transition better for me and him ??

mommie2be525

Asked by mommie2be525 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Where is his crib? Is it in your room? In a whole different room? You might try pushing the crib right up next to the bed. You may also try swaddling.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You may as well just do it unless you want to sleep with your kid forever. Put him in his crib and let him get used to it. He's going to cry until he gets used to it. If there is nothing wrong with him then let him cry, it won't hurt him any.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You will NOT sleep with your kid forever if you don't transition him now. As to harm in letting him cry...there's research from Harvard on the subject that would turn your hair gray.

There is a great article on transitioning from the family bed on drjaygordon.com...look up "sleep" on the site. Dr. Jay recommends waiting till one year, but you can always try.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You will just have to listen to him cry. The first night I put my son in his crib he cried for 20 excruciating minutes. I must've walked to his door prepared to give in a hundred times but each time he would quiet down so I would walk away. It really does only take a few days and then he will be able to self soothe and go right to sleep. My son was 9months old before he spent a night in his crib. Now he naps there as well. Believe it or not getting him to take a nap in the crib was harder than him going down at night.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• OMG...that research from Harvard again? It's been shown to be bogus!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My favorites books to help with sleep have been;

The 90 Minute Baby Sleep Solution - to help me understand how sleep cycles develop
    Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child - more sleep science, though I didn't follow the application suggested by the author because we are cosleeping and I read it when my son was over a year old
    Nighttime Parenting by Dr. Sears - for some ideas of how to involve Dad and avoid crying
    The No Cry Baby Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley - SUPER practical steps to help build a routine and avoid crying

With our next one, I'm actually going to start using some of the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child stuff. There is a really balanced focus on the child's developmental needs, and the author leaves room for parents to personalize their approach based on their level of comfort with crying and their child's temperament.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Here's the link someone mentioned before;
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You will not have to sleep with him forever.

I transitioned my first at about 17months because I was preganant and he is a wild sleeper.
    My second was a gentle sleeper and I did not feel the need to put her in another bed until three years.

You could wait until he is old enough to use a toddler bed, so he has more freedom to get to you and not feel separated.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Try to have him take naps in it first, then he gets used to sleeping in it at one point of the day. Gradually start to have him sleep nights in it. The crying is going to be there for the first few weeks but as long as nothing is wrong he'll be fine crying himself to sleep.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I started by just putting them in their crib to play if I was putting away laundry and such just to get used to it. Then we moved in for naps and then after awhile at bed time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2009