Has anybody had trouble with not gaining enough weight? What will my Dr do?

I am 16 weeks and I haven't gained so much as an ounce. My doc told me last time that if I hadn't gained any weight by my appt on 9/9 that they would have to intervine. Well I haven't gained anything, so I'm wondering, what do they mean intervine? What will they do. I'm eating and my uterus is growing, just nothing else. So does anybody have any clue what they might do?

shawneewaiting

Asked by shawneewaiting at 3:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• with my son i had this problem they placed me on ensure..
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 3:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I stopped gaining and actually lost a couple pounds in my 3rd trimester. My dr said if I didn't gain at least a pound by my next appt that he would put me on bedrest. (It was my 3rd and I was running around after 2 toddlers - no wonder I wasn't gaining weight!)

Answer by missanc at 3:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i started out at 124lbs and at my last appointment i weighed 117lbs. i lost 7 lbs and was 16 weeks also. but my doctor said they usually dont start worrying about it unless i havent gained any by 20 weeks. so i dont really know what they will do, prolly make us eat! lol
    EheartsZ07

Answer by EheartsZ07 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I dont get why some doctors care and some doctors dont. I have had 3 different OB's during my 3 pregnancies and none of them cared about my weight loss. At 16 weeks I was 21 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight with my 1st (9 pound under when I delivered) and 23 pounds under with my second (11 pounds under when I delivered) this time I am only 7 pounds under at 19 weeks and none of them seem to be concerned at all!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Im 16 weeks and Ive lost 8 pnds since Ive been pregnant. I had morning sickness til I was 11 weeks, but Ive been eating really good since then. At my first WIC appt (at about 7 weeks) they weighed me and I weighed 163, then at the dr (last week) I weighed 158, and then Wednesday morning I had a WIC Nutrion class and I weighed 156 so Ive lost 2 pnds in the past week but I eat all the time. I tod my dr last week that Id lost 5 pnds but she didnt seem too concerned bc the baby was measuring where it should and she said I was actually measuring bigger.
    She did tell me that I needed to start gaining about a pound a week.
    This is also my second child and I know as long as your baby is growing the way it should then its ok if your not gaingin weight this early in pregnany. You gain your most weight in the 3rd trimester.
    Doctors are going to complain if you gain to much or not enough.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I haven't had this problem with my doctor. I know I lost 8 lbs in my first trimester but I gained that back and haven't really had an increase in my weight. She doesn't seem concerned because everything with the baby is fine, he's right where he should be. I don't see why it matters honestly, every women and pregnancy is different, as long as the baby is healthy and mom is eating right what's the problem?
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• well i dont think its anything to be worried about. if your eating and the baby is getting food i would not be worried. hell with both of my pregnancies i didnt really put on weight till i was in my 7th 8th month. with my son i gained a perfect 30 pounds from my start off weight, i also lost a lot of weight during my first 2 tris, this pregnancy so far i have only gained 18 pounds and i am 8 months.. i always have it in my head that your doc is just upset that you havent gained weight and its not fair, if its a woman, if its a man i have it in my head that men like to see FAT pregnant women. it turns them on or something.. i know its silly, but that is my theory. and its just a THEORY PEOPLE!!
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009