My 6 year old is drving me nuts! should I give her a good spank?

My 6 year old daughter whines the first thing is the morning, she won't even want to go potty by herself! she complains that she can't walk ( I am ABSOLUTELY sure her legs are just fine ), she just want someone to carry her to the toilet. And this drive my very impatient husband nuts right away, then there follows shouting ( for a long time )....then tears, then she will do what she's supposed to do. I am so tired of these scenario all day and everyday, what should I do ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her that she's a big girl and get up and walk to the potty now before she wets herself. Tell her to quit whining and screaming or you will giver her something to whine and scream about. And if she's gonna cry she can go sit in the corner in her room until she has herself under control, no one wants to listen to her.

And yes, I've done that exact thing to my 6 year old daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY spank her good!
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 3:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• tell her that your not helping her anymore and she got legs to walk. My son "try's" and get me by saying he can't do this or that and I tell him you can do it your not handicap lol
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I don't know. I'm not opposed to spanking for the right reasons. Is she a child that will respond to it do you think? I'll be darned if I would carry her to the bathroom. She's 6 not 3. I would refuse to help her and then proceed to ignore her. If she insists on acting like a baby I might be inclined to treat her like one. Such as taking all of her good toys away because "babies can't play with this". Or taking away her favorite foods because "babies can't eat that." You see where I'm going with this. She might be more inclined to act her age if she got some privledges taken away.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 3:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'd just ignore her! She probably wont' want to pee all over herself, so she'll get to the bathroom when she has to. There is no WAY I'd be carrying a 6 year old to the bathroom, thats just not right.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• DO NOT SPANK HER!!! IGNORE her behavior, tell her that she is a big girl and when she is ready to act like a big girl you will deal with her. Put her in her room and shut the door, tell her to not come out until she is ready to be a big girl. If she pees on herself, make her clean it up and change herself. Just hand her the clean clothes and whatever is needed to clean up her mess and let her do it. Do NOT help her. I do NOT tolerate whining, I just ignore it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Ignore her behavior. You are feeding into it and thats why she is doing it. If I new someone would carry me into the bathroom when I have to go pee I would whine too. You need to tell her to walk and if she pees on herself then I would spank her because there is no need to pee on yourself at six when you are capable of walking ot the bathroom.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• OK, what time are you putting her in bed, I mean how many hours of sleep does she get a night? Could she really just be very tired? If that is not it, then I agree with the others, ignore the behavior. When she says she is too tired to walk in the morning, explain that you are sorry and maybe she needs to go to bed a half hour earlier that night. Usually that gets them moving. Other than that expect her to take herself to the potty and get herself dressed and to the breakfast table. If you expect it, as in, you don't do it for her, then she will start to do it on her own.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• please please don't spank your baby....thats not the way to solve your problem by making your child fear you. I understand your frustration. I would put your daughter back in bed, gently, and explain to her that if she wakes up whinning that means she is still tired and needs to sleep a little longer (or go to bed earlier) also explain big kids can go to the restroom all by themselves. Another good suggestion is to make her favorite breakfast and if she wants to eat it she has to get up like a big girl. Also, when she wakes up make sure everyone greets each other with a GOODMORNING ! it helps set the mood to be cheerful instead of whinning.... I hope this helps. Please don't spank your child. Just talk to her at six she is old enough to understand what is expected of her, and the consquence of not acting her age will result in her staying in her room until she is ready to join the family. Thanks good luck
    abbyg

Answer by abbyg at 2:31 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• IF my son tried this nonsense...guess what, he'd be getting a swat on the rear. And no, he is NOT afraid of me. Thankfully, I don't have to swat him often. My little boy is 5 and he goes to bed at 8 on school nights. NO EXCEPTIONS. He wakes up by himself when he hears me getting up in the morning at 6:15. He is happy and cheerful in the mornings. He comes and greets me with a "good morning Mommy" and a hug and kiss. Then we start to choose his clothes for the day. He gets a choice of two outfits. He gets dressed, then watches some cartoons while I make his lunch (he eats breakfast at school because all his friends do too). I think it's very possible your little girl isn't getting enough sleep at night. Maybe Daddy isn't either. LOL! A bad morning can put a damper on the whole day. I wish you the very best luck in getting this behavior corrected. Mommy, Daddy and the little one will all be happier in the end.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 9:42 AM on Aug. 29, 2009