Why is my cat doing this? What do I do?

We put a carpet remnant in our basement. The cat is totally litter trained, but is pooping on the carpet. NOT GOOD! I moved his litter box to the area where he is doing it, and it didn't stop him. He is peeing in the box. What can I do to stop this very nasty cat behavior?

Teachermom01

Asked by Teachermom01 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I would just throw out the piece of carpet. Once they decide to do that and get their scent on it, there isn't much you can do to stop them.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• There may be something in the carpet that he's smelling that you cannot and he's marking his territory OR there may be something physically wrong with him, I mean he may be sick or something and he associates pooping in the litterbox with pain and actually think it's the litterbox making it painful to poop. Put the carpet away for a few days and see if the problem persists. If it does then it's possible you have a medical issue going on but my 1st guess is it's just the carpet.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 5:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Where did the remnant come from? Could it have another cat's scent on it somehow? Or some other animal?
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The carpet piece is brand new. It was cut from the new carpet we had installed August 18. It is just weird.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• That is weird. Maybe it's his way of saying he hates your choice in carpet. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Maybe there's A weird odor in it! Like who knows what was on someone's shoes & what they stepped in it to get on there? Is he mad at you? Otherwise I have to believe there's A Smell in there he is dealing with! If its new, not got any old Smells on it he dislikes. If he's not ill.. It has to be the Carpet. You know they can be recycled with some awful chemicals & smells that he finds offensive! I'm sorry for his accidents or Warnings! But I'm sure he has A Good Reason! Good Luck finding out what it is..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 4:10 PM on Aug. 29, 2009