How old is too old for men to have children?

If some moms on CA say that 40-45 is the stopping point for women to get pregnant, what would be the appropriate stopping point for a man?

Do you feel that it is appropriate for a 45 yr man to break up with a 41 yr woman to find a younger woman to start a family?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely, a 41 woman in love with a 45 man

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Men can produce babies tell the day they die

Answer by louise2 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Larry King didnt have kids til he was nearly 70, I think.

I say if you think you can keep up with them and hopefully will be around to see them graduate, go for it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I say as long as you can have children, and want to, you should. Nobody is ever guaranteed a perfect, easy pregnancy, nobody is guaranteed a healthy baby and nobody is guaranteed to live until the children graduate (just as an example of an age when they don't "need" parents any longer). I'm only 26 and I could walk out my front door to get my mail tomorrow and be hit by a speeding car. No guarantees, so no judgment of the "right" age from me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think it is unmoral for ANY person to have a child too late in life. ...if you have your first kid when you are 55 you'll be 75 by the time they are 20yrs old. You may even already be dead by then. And if you aren't chances are your poor teenager was taking care of you due to the effects of old age.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:06 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• We decided not to have anymore kids due to our ages .Iam 33 and he is 40. but thats just us. We have health issues. the choice should be made together. My uncle is 35 years older than his wife(my best friend)They chose as a couple not to have any kids at all.She is happy being step mom to 5 grown children from his first marriage.
    witchymoma

Answer by witchymoma at 4:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• if you were asking how old men have to be in maturity, then no children would ever be born

----------from a woman with a immature man
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My dh is older than I am. He was 40 years old when our first was born. He is now 42 and we are planning on having another baby soon. I think it's up to the couple.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• There have been recent studies showing that there is an increase in birth defects as men age as well as with women. I think it's irresponsible of men to have babies too late in life because they won't be around to take care of them. Yes, there's a chance that someone young can die tomorrow, but the risk is much less likely.

Answer by missanc at 4:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Most men that I've known feel the same biological clock to have kids before they hit 40. If they aren't married or were playboy type guys, they start thinking about settling down in their late 30s. Sure, they can impregnate a woman til they are really old. - but who wants to be a dad to a teenager when you are 60? I guess Larry King is rich and can afford nanny's and people to do all the hard stuff. But for the average middle class man - the idea of being a dad to a little kid when most of your peers are grandparents - well, I think they prefer to be a little younger.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My husband is 43 and we are expecting a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2009