Selective Hearing

I know that all children have a thing called Selective Hearing, but how can I get my kid to listen or answer the first time, instead of me yelling the 5th time to get her attention. After I yell, she cries and I feel so bad. but how do i get her to listen?? Please Help!!

cristinabresler

Asked by cristinabresler at 4:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was just thinking of this yesterday as I am saying MAX STOP, we were getting ready to take a walk and he likes to push the stroller himself ( big boy! ) and he's heading right for the street - which that itself is an ongoing issue but I yelled this over and over and finally had to run to him and took him by the arm and said No NO Street - you need to wait for Mommy. he looked at me and said "wait" Mommy" Street" but I have to do this alot with him.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I say something once. I then call their name loud enough that I KNOW they had to hear me. If they don't respond, then I march them to the corner. Yes, even my 2 year old. I tell them that I called them and told them to do something. When they decide to do as they were told they can leave the corner.

Worked wonders here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Tell the kid that If you have to call their name for a third time. (Just like baseball). They are out and in punishment. Corner or whatever. mean it and don't apologize. If they still refuse to hear you. Have their hearing checked. Then if they still can't hear. See if they can feel with a good swat on the bottom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009