Does anyone have a prepaid phone?

I am looking to cut down on the cell bill and I was looking at the prepaid cell phone through T-Mobile. If we picked 4 of the 1000 min plans (2000 each) that would put us around the amount we use with our current company and save us about $400 a year.

Any one use a prepaid phone? Do you think the quality of service is a good as a contract phone? Does the phone work out of your local calling area?

Any additional info would be appreciated, =)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Shopping

• I have one with Virgin Mobile. its good for someone who does not use a cell phone often, but wants to have one with them just in case they need to make a call... 

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I have a net10. 10 cents anytime anywhere. It works good and I get great service. Work put a Virgin on me for a week and it was horrible here. Check around and see what works in your area
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• tmobile is pretty good and prepaid you can take most anywhere. i've had many prepaid. i had prepaid from the time i was 15 till 21. it worked for me. prepaid phones usually will tell you how many minutes you have left so you dont have to worry about not knowing how many minutes you got till you have to reload. you can actually talk to a tmobile distributer about what areas they work best in and if it works where you're gonna be at the most with your cell.
    1sttimema_808

Answer by 1sttimema_808 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i've had contract and i've had tmobile, virgin mobile and verizon free up, the best one in my opinion was the virgin mobile, it gave us more minutes and the service was great. The service was good in all three but virgin got more minutes, t mobile has the WORST costumer service. gl.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I have a trac fone. I love it. I got the double mins for life. I dont use it much so I only pay 30 bucks for 240 mins. every couple of months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I have tracfone and really like it- although I don't use it very much. My hubs has used my phone and then he bought himself one and he likes it. He uses his alot. He has a 1yr activation card, I usually have to buy mine every few months--although I am thinking of going with a 1yr card.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I had VM but wasnt really happy with how they treated their customers. I heard they were going to offer a phone for low - income people which gives them 120 minutes for only 10 bucks. The only problem is i dont think its fair to only offer it to a certain group of people, it really rips off their loyal customers. I know net10 is pretty good, they were given the best overall value. And tracfone runs on the verzion network so they have pretty good service.
    Papa5

Answer by Papa5 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• I had T-Mobile and wasn't using all my minutes every month so I switched to their Pre-pay service when my contract was up. BIG MISTAKE!! I have a sidekick so with their Pre-pay I always got unlimited Text Messaging, Picture Messaging, IM, E-Mail, and Mobile Web. I liked that a lot. What I did not like at all was that they used to charge a $1 a day service fee only on the days you used your phone. Well without telling anyone they changed that to $1 a day even If you don't use the phone that day. I called Customer Service to ask what was going on when I was seeing money deducted from my account when I hadn't even used my phone. They told me it was always $1 a day no matter what, which is NOT TRUE AT ALL. After that the service went way down hill. My phone would switch from saying T-Mobile to AT&T no matter where I went, and when that happened I could only get incoming calls and that's it.
    Princess87

Answer by Princess87 at 2:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• It gets worse too. My phone that I had purchased brand new when I had regular T-Mobile service, my phone thats was under a supposed full warranty broke. They said that now that I was a Pre-paid customer the warranty was void!. The phone was barely 6 months old. Turns out that it only needed a new battery which they wanted to sell me for $80. I bought one on ebay for $5. I got the phone working again and sold it! I have Net10 now and am VERY happy. In my opinion T-Mobile should be avoided at all costs.
    Princess87

Answer by Princess87 at 2:59 AM on Aug. 31, 2009