Boys' Names - Looking for Not Too Common, Not Too Unique

I need some ideas for boys' names. My husband and I are just plain stuck. I want a name that's not so common that he will be one of 4 of them in every classroom, but not so uncommon that he grows up saying, "Ma, what were you thinking?" The names I like are Coleman, Nathan, Christian, Logan, and Colin, but they have become so common now. My husband likes "James", far too common. We were looking at Sean for a while as well. Any ideas or suggestions would help! (If it helps, the baby is due right before Christmas and our last name is typically Greek.)

Imogen13

Asked by Imogen13 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go to the Social Security Administrations website and check the baby names on the list. They have the top 1000 names given in the last year and it'll tell you exactly how many children were named that. DS is Vance and in 2006 there were only about 400 kids in the entire US named that :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 5:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Elisha, Isaiah, Stephen, have some friends who just had a boy, and his name is Lincoln.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 4:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I like my sons name. Mason. I think its unique...but not strange. If my second child would have been a boy he would have been Hudson. But I had a girl...lol ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Griffin, Miller, Eli, Beckett =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I named my son Orion and now that I did, I see a few other boys named that as well. We gave him a more common, conservative, middle name in case he would rather use it when he grew up. But... he likes being called Orion. The meaning, "Son Of Fire" really suits him. My name means "Fiery Spirit" and he is DEFINITELY my kid, though and though. And he's my hot-tempered one....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Our son is Harrison James. I haven't run into that many Harrisons. The two that I do know actually go by their middle names instead of by Harrison.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I like the names Gavin, Reed, and Hudson. All are not unique, but aren't used enough that they'll be another kid in the class with the same name.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My son's name is Max. Which I never heard of til he was born - now everyone has a max it seems. but what about Wyatt, we loved that name but my DH's brother took it for his son. We were tossing around Jack, Jackson, Logan, Nolan.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I swear just by reading the title I was going to suggest a classic name and I was going to use "James" as an example- because I don't hear of ppl giving their kids classic names anymore- everyone wants top be different --and be careful too- you never know when hollywood is going to take a good strong old fashion boy name and turn it into a girls ! (Damn Greys Anatomy for that!)
    I have an Addison James (for the record, the baby book I had 6 yrs ago it was ONLY in the BOYS section-meaning 'desendant of Adam' ) And I have a Chance Aiden - whom everyone renamed Chase *sigh* GOOD LUCK Honey naming a boy is tough work- LOL :)
    Tnamari

Answer by Tnamari at 5:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My son's name is Owen. It's becoming more popular but there aren't that many kids with that name.
    If we had another boy it was going to be Kyler Glen (but we had a girl that I named Nora Glenn). With our last pregnancy that ended in miscarriage I was planning on naming a boy Collin James (James is my dad's middle name and my fil's middle name).
    Around here those names aren't very common. It's a mostly Hispanic neighborhood. There are 2 Salvadors, 2 Leonardos and 2 Josephs just in my dd's 4th grade class. My 1st grader has 2 Diegos.
    We have a baby name finder here at cafemom. The link is below in the green section. I was using it when trying to find a name for the last baby.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009