my son is 3 and a half and has had the last 4 days with both parents. Today his dad is at work. For us 2 it's another typical day. But it's not because he wants to be left alone. He just wants to play and wants mom to bud out. I feel like I am neglecting him by leaving him by himself to play. Is it normal to be rejected by a 3yr old?

My 3.5 yr old wants to be left alone

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh hon it's totally normal. He's learning independence. Both of my kids have gone through this. It doesn't last long either. He'll eventually want his mommy to play with him again. All you can do is offer and let him know that you're there when he needs/wants you. Keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get into anything he shouldn't.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• my 3 1/2 year old is just fine playing by himself. it not a bad thing. they are learning independence.
    nataliekrag

Answer by nataliekrag at 2:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Be glad he doesn't want you to play with him all the time!! Congratulations Mom, you did a good job teaching him to be independent!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My soon to be 3 year old stays in his room for awhile and then surfaces when he is hungry, needs a drink, or tired for his nap. I check on him, ask if he wants to color or go for a walk, but usually he is in his own imaginary world of play. I think it is good as long as they don't forget that they have to eat or take a nap. I don't think it is because your husband is back at work. Maybe you could take him to go visit your husband at work at lunch time if you are worried or think he misses him?
    4sailor

Answer by 4sailor at 4:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Theres nothing wrong with it, i even encourage it. It may seem hard that they dont want you to play..my kids kick me out all the time. but its for the best, it shows they will be ok on their own
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 4:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• thats very normal my daughter is 3 also and she did the same thing i thought i hurt her feelings somehow or did something for her to hate me....i asked her doctor they told me it was perfectly normal that every kid at this age goes through this independent stage where they wanna play with their things without mommy and daddy around theyll close the door on u and everything..so dont worry he'll come back to u
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My daughter loves to play by herself and it makes me happy. If she needs me she will let me know as I am sure yours will too.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 3, 2008