Taking over the internet?

This bill was passed awhile ago but they claimed they changed it yet they didn't?
Clinton said the new version of the bill that surfaced this week is improved from its first draft, but troubling language that was removed was replaced by vague language that could still offer the same powers to the president in case of an emergency.

"The current language is so unclear that we can't be confident that the changes have actually been made," he said.

The new legislation allows the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and make a plan to respond to the danger, according to an excerpt published online -- a broad license that rights experts worry would give the president "amorphous powers" over private users.

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• A Senate source familiar with the bill likened the new power to take control of portions of the Internet to what President Bush did when he grounded all aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001, CNET News reported.

So, you don't want the President to have this authority?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• So, you don't want the President to have this authority?
    ________
    I have not given an opinion. So please do not speculate. I asked a question and I am looking forward to reading other peoples thoughts on this other then my own.
    OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I have not given an opinion. So please do not speculate. I asked a question and I am looking forward to reading other peoples thoughts on this other then my own. OP

I was asking YOUR opinion, dont post something if your going to get nasty at others questions and opinions

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I do not think he should have power over private networks there is no reason for it. What you quoted was saying it is the same principle as when Bush grounded planes this bill had nothing to do with Bush grounding planes on 9/11. It is saying it will give the POTUS the ability to shut down all internet. I think that all Government Internet servers yes but not private ones.
    OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

That quote was in the story you linked. If something happened that we cant think of right now. ( an attack on financial records?) by an outside agent and the government could stop that by temporarily halting service, would you not want them too?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• They need to bail that language down so it can't be abused.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The new legislation allows the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and make a plan to respond to the danger, according to an excerpt published online -- a broad license that rights experts worry would give the president "amorphous powers" over private users.

I think the term 'emergency' needs to be defined otherwise it is possible that this could be unconstitutional.  And furthermore, I imagine that if it were used and it could be proved that it was used by the President for non-emergency situations (and it could be proved as such) it would be grounds for impeachment.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• 5:08 PM
    I know where the quote came from. They can halt service on government servers they do not need to do it to private servers (example: someone hacks into the FBI they can shut down their server with out having to shut down Yahoo mail's server) It is too vague for anyone to say this is the line you can not cross.
    OP
    Anonymous

• If he is thinking he may need something like this he should be horse whipped for apologizing to the world and making nice to our enemies. I thought everyone was supposed to love us after he became President. You think he has changed his mind and realizes what those real terrorists can do? Nah......
    No I don't want him to have that power for sure. I don't trust Obama any further than I can throw him.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009