New 4 Week Old Puppy

So I went to the shelter yesterday to pick up a kitten and they had a 4wk old puppy they were about to euthanize because it had no mom and they claimed it was too young for them to keep and policy states they have to euthanize it. Well long story short I ended up brining the little girl home. Now, last night she sleep in a large kennel we used to kennel train my dog, I put puppy pads and what not in there and she didn’t have a single accident, she waited to potty until thing morning when I took her out! I was shocked! I have never cared for such a young pup, so for those who have, how easy is it to potty train that young, and is it ok for her to hold it that long?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Well... I know my dogs can hold it for a VERY long time - but if she has to go.. she'll go. There's just no stopping her.
    If she's potty training herself, that's great. She's a clever little girl.
    It might also have to do with the fact that she was in a shelter for a short while - and it's "shocked" her. I would just continue to priase her when she doesn't go in the kennel- like you would any dog, and if she has mishaps, then she does.
    Good job on you rescuing the poor little girl!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It is great that she didn't have an accident but you should take her out every 2-3 hrs day and night for the 1st week or so. Since she's a tiny girl even after she is potty trained it might take awhile b4 the accidents stop cuz she just can't control her muscles as well as when she gets older. Keep her on a tight schedule with every few hrs for the 1st 5 days or so then start lengthening the time b4 u take her out and by the end of week 3 you should be able to leave her in the kennel all night. Taking her out on a schedule also gives you time to bond as well as teach her to be on a leash and walk without pulling and tugging you along behind her.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 5:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• She may have been pretty dehydrated for a while too, so she may not have had much to pee out just yet!!
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• This doesnt make sense. Why would the shelter release a four week old puppy to someone and provide it up for adoption. Puppies shouldnt be released to potential adopters until they are at least 8 weeks old. All shelters in the US follow these guidelines.
    As for her holding her urine, it isnt safe and could cause serious bladder control problems along the lines. You should also be feeding her high quality WET(no kibble!) puppy food. Puppies should be kept in an area large enough for them to have a place to sleep that is away from paper/weewee pads. Training shouldnt start until they are 8 weeks old because it is too dangerous to have the dog outside at her age. Her immune system is week right now and without vaccinations she could die fr0m what you would consider to be normal activities. Do some research on puppy care before you decide to treat her like a normal puppy. Good luck. If you need any additional info please pm me!!
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:46 AM on Aug. 30, 2009