what exactlly is colic, and what is the most effective way to help a 6 week old with colic

I am the grandmother who isnt wanting to be the daughter in laws nightmare..lol so \I am asking the cafe mom's for advice and then can simply silently point at the computer and daughter(babies Mommie) can read and decide what she wants to do with fully informed ideas. ..and NOT think grandmaw is being a shrew.
I love btoh mommy and baby.. an i dont want to intrude or offend or cause any bad feelings in this new phase of life as a 1st time grandmaw.. and first time mommy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a colicky child. I couldn't do anything for him - but I did try gripe water -that's supposed to calm the tummy. Gives the doses on there. Try Culturelle. I just bought this for my son and it says its safe for infants also - or at least look it up - my son had stooling issues and the past 2 weeks its helped. White noise helped sometimes... the static on the radio. Car rides, tons of walk/bouncing at the same time, actually a bit more jarring type than the relaxing walk/bounce also. finally I tried a chiropractor at 4-1/2 months and his colic stopped at 5 months..but he was still a fussy baby after that. NOt much you can do when they can't tell you but those are things I tried. I LOVED that my mom came over everyday - It gave me a chance to sleep. I cried all the time because my son cried ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT... btu I didn't trust anyone but my mom to care for him. Mom my could be my son's angel!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• mine had colic
    doc said it would go away at 4 months and on the dot it did
    mean while....
    'they' say it may be related to gas,
    =so gas drops, and put baby on tummy on your lap rub back
    =vibrating mesh chair thing
    =pass baby back and forth to another person when you think you can not stand it any longer

patience patience patience

gl!

you will need patience and it iwill pass around four months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Colic is uncontrolled crying for hours at a time. No one really knows what causes it.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my oldest son was colicly till I took dairy out of my diet(I was breastfeeding him). Another thing thar can do wonders for colic is chiropractic care for baby. It's very gentle. I started taking DD in when she became reflux. Took care of it. She giggles through the whole adjustment
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• What gdiamante said. For some babies it is gas but real colic it is different. Gas would not cause a child to cry uncontrollably at the same time every single day for weeks on end like my son. Almost like clockwork at 11pm he would start wailing and nothing I did would calm him down. The best I could do was sit him on my knee and bounce him softly. It would quiet him to a whimper but it never fully stopped. Then almost as suddenly at 2am he would stop, yawn and go to sleep. It was exhausting for me and more then once I had to leave him on my bed screaming and lock myself in the bathroom to clear my head before I snapped (I have sensory issues with noise--it overloads my brain and I just lose all control).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You are so sweet to be so concerned, yet gentle with your daughter-in-law's feelings :-).
    Google "The Happiest Baby on the Block" or try and get the DVD; the soothing technique it teaches "the 5 s's" helped us sooo much.

Some moms swear by Gripe water or Colic Calm. We gave gas drops at every feeding. And yes, if you and other friends/family are around, take shifts soothing the baby during those fussy hours!

Is she breastfeeding? If NOT breastfeeding, try switching formulas - my son had colic (and also GERD and was lactose intolerant, so there were other issues) and things got better after we switched to Nutramigen. He improved quickly after that, and also when taking Zantac for the GERD. Message me if you like! Good luck, and this time will pass!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 5:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• this is old Mexican remedy it worked for me put olive oil on your hand and warm it up just a little bit and rub it on the tummy and cover the baby like a burrito...it works
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My oldest was VERY colicky......
    I used Fennel seed drops....you can also try the Gripe Water....or the Mylanta gas drops for babies.
    I used to hold him ...face down on my arm....with his head near the crease of the arm by the elbow.....rock back and forth...and rub and pat his back.
    Also I would put him on his tummy across my leggs (while sitting down)...move legs back and forth and pat and rub back.
    My youngest had gas....the vibrating bouncy seats are a wonder!!!!! Or even a swing...the perpetual motion seems to sooth some babies :)
    Good Luck ...to you and the family.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 6:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It's crying for hours for no apparent reason. There's no hunger, no gas, no wet or dirty diaper, no being tired, no being consoled at all. It's just crying and crying and crying and crying...

The best thing is for the mom and dad (and whoever else can help) to take turns walking, holding, etc..the baby. There may come a time when the baby just needs to be put in the crib and everyone walk away....it's better to let the baby cry in a safe place than for the caregivers to get angry and desperate (think "shaken baby syndrome")

It usually starts around 6 weeks and ends around 4 months...usually. There is no known cause or cure.

Gas is not colic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If any of the "remedies" mentioned by previous posters work, it's not colic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009