what do i do about my 5 year old back talking me?

My 5 year old daughter has just started back talking me over the last couple of weeks. I thought it was becasue i am always around one of my friends and she has a 7 year old that back talks her. Well me and my daughters dad have tried talking to her and telling her that she needs to stop but its getting worse. Like if she wants to color and i tell her not to because her baby brother is at the table she screams at me and says yeah i am. Or she has started saying i want it when i take something away. Its getting bad. I dont know what else to do? She tells me no all the time.

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would talk to her about this. Like if she says no to something ask her why she says no and truly listen to her.

If she wants to do something but it isnt appropriate at the time and she makes a fuss I would say someting like - I know you are upset right now and want to play. Just acknowledging her feelings and listening to her will really help.

Also if she throws a fit let her - dont add drama to it. It might be her only way to express her feelings. Once they are out they are out and as she gets used to expressing herself this will tame.

Try aldort.com as i didnt do a good job of explaining.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• INORE her when she is being disrespectful and tell her that when she is ready to talk to you nicely, they you will talk to her. NO need to spank, ground or anything else. Make her write her name over and over again, write the alphabet or sight words that she knows. If she throws a fit, ignore it. You are giving attention to an inappropriate behavior that if you ignore should stop.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Im sorry I know most people dont spank but I would have smacked her in her mouth a long time ago. My daughter said no to me and thats not acceptable. You are giving her too much freedom and too much choice. It will only get worst. If she wants to color and you say no. Take the crayons from her and say sternly I said no and walk away. Give her options but let them be your options. Like say you cant color, but you can do or this. If she refuses then she does nothing. That kind of behavior has to be stopped because those children come into the classroom and Im a teacher and I have to deal with students like this all the time and its aggravating because parents should not allow it at home.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• We have had to deal with talking back every since we had baby #2. Our 5 year old talks back, if you try to tell her no (end of discussion, so quit trying to bargain with me) she starts yelling....LET ME FINISH TALKING....even though she knows the answer will still be NO! She has bad temperament problems lately and we have tried everything from spanking, to time out, to ignoring her to giving in. Its hard to be consistent if you don't know whats right or what will work, especially with the jealousy issue we have going on. Either way, stick to your guns and try time outs for talking back and being disrespectful, at the same time, you have to give respect in order to receive it....it is not something you can just demand, it is earned!
    frogonmoon

Answer by frogonmoon at 11:33 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• My youngest is 4yrs old and she started back talking to. I just lightly slapped her and its enough to hurt her feelings and I make her say sorry and I only had to do it twice and the back talking has stopped.
    Damali0812

Answer by Damali0812 at 6:54 AM on Sep. 8, 2009