what do you think of this statement?

“Republicans will be defined this year by their effort to block Democrats’ efforts for health care reform.”

“This year is going to be defined by Republicans and conservatives by what we oppose,”

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Its asinine. Repubs aren't the only ones blocking these bills.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I was trying to find out who said it. It's kind of sad to think of a party being defined by what it STOPPED rather than by what it achieved.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I would say Republicans will be defined by their opposition to change and positive steps toward the future. A very negative,fear mongering, bullying bunch if you ask me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• it means that we all have lost sight of what really is important and all want to 'one-up' each other. What ever happened to honesty and "we the people". It is truly sad that our elected officials do not represent what the people actually want. It is ll about money, dirty politics, and who's palms you grease.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 5:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• anon 5:44 - that attitude is EXACTLY the WRONG attitude. If you have a block-head, things will just bounce off it. Obviously, proven in your case.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 5:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Isn't it incredible that the MANY alternative proposals, for health care and other programs, are ignored as if they don't exist?

Like "... the Party of NO; they say No to everything, and they have no ideas of their own ..."

Where do the people who repeat this kind of thing get their info? I'm a simple mom, I don't work in politics or in the media, yet I have read SEVERAL alternative proposals.

Hmm ... maybe it is a line being used to deceive their audience, and they KNOW it is a lie?
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Another generalization... It angers me when folks just lump all repubs or dems together when discussing a controversial issue.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I totally agree, by the way, that it is important for WHOEVER - Republicans, Democrats, or Klingons - to help block this bill.

Whether this bill (and Cap & Trade, and Card Check ) passes WILL be a defining moment for our country, because of the enormous trampling of the Constitution contained in most of its sections.

So, just like the significant battles in war, those who hold the line - or who fail to do it - WILL be defined by their deed.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

TRUTH!! Politicians now campaign for lifetime jobs in politics not to work for the betterment of US...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I would like it to say
    This year is going to be defined by Republicans and conservatives stopping the atrocities brought on by the Obama Administration.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Aug. 28, 2009