potty training question..

My daughter is 5 and starts school nexts week. She is normally always at home with me. Well at home she goes to the potty by herself or when i tell her to but she never tells me she needs to go. My question is with me not knowing how shes going to act should i still put her in underwear the first day of school or a pull up. The teachers take the kids for bathroom breaks i think every 2 hours or so. My daughter wears underwear all the time at home only pull ups at night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if she has problems going for other people, or has accidents and you really think she will have one at school i would; but if you talk to her about peeing for the teacher and it's okay to go to bathroom at school she might be okay. I know that when i was doing actual potty training i always had undies on my son, but when he'd go to his nanas shed put pullups on him and it set him back. With her age I'm not sure how it would affect her. I would def talk to her tho.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Please do not send your daughter to school in a pull up.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• well let me say this as a mother of a second grader. If your daughter has an accident the teacher is not going to change a pull up so she will have to come home either way. So save her the potential embarassment and just send her with regular panties.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If she goes to the bathroom by herself, it wouldn't make sense that she needs to "tell" you she is going to go. Most K teachers remind the kids and have times they ask I would think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• ok saturns mom i have a friend whose daugher goes to the same school my daughter is going to and she messed her pants and the teacher just let her change clothes she didnt come home. Thats why they say to bring an extra outfit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• ok well first of all that wasnt mentioned so how would I even know?
    Secondly I would just hate to be your daughter if some other kids found out she was wearing pull ups to school. It could also make her feel like you dont trust that she could get herself to the bathroom. No need to get defensive. Kids are mean even in kindergarten.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 3:34 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would not send a child to Kindergarten in a pull up. She will get used to going at school much faster if she doesn't have the pull up to fall back on (or pee in haha). Don't worry, this is something Kindergarten teachers are used to. Mention it to the teacher before school starts.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 29, 2009