Do you think dogs know when you're going to go into labor?

My dog won't leave my side lately. He even comes into the bathroom and guards me. It's so weird. He's been following me and by my side a lot my whole pregnancy but NOW he never leaves my side, if we don't let him sleep in the room with us he sleeps at the door he lays down beside me wherever I am, gets up and follows me wherever I go. I'm only a little over 37 weeks, idk, do you think he knows something I do not??

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 6:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Our lab was a young adult when I was pregnant with my youngest son. He acted pretty oddly my last two weeks. After we were home from the hospital the dog would not leave his side. He slept beside the bassinettte etc. I put him down for a nap and went to do dishes. All the sudden about 10 mins later the dog starts barking like crazy. I ran in the room and my son was having a seizure. From then until the day that dog passed on he would sense when my son was going to have a seizure. He would push him with his nose in an odd way and my son would sit down. It was really strange. The Dr's were pretty amazed at the time. We found out later they have dogs that do this all the time, also dogs who can lick theiir master and detect high blood sugars.. Do I think they can sense imminent labor?. Probably. I surely wouldn't discount it anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I tend to believe that dogs are very intuitive, with there owners, and how they feel, he may know that it is coming soon, or my be reading your emotions, on how you are feeling I know when I was 37 weeks I was ready and i was sending body language, that I was ready to have the baby as well
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i tthink so my dog has been acting the same way
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2009