Any other moms with a skinny baby?

Just got back from my son's 9 months check up and his weight percentile dropped from 50% at 6 months to 8%!! The ped didn't seem to worry since he's behavior didn't change, he eats well and poos a lot still...but I can't help myself but worry....

DavineandLiam

Asked by DavineandLiam at 6:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MY BIL's daughter is skinny. Tall & Skinny...I say she's gonna be like a Super Model .
    Her mother has trouble buying her clothes.....because the pants are always to short...or too big in the waist. She is healthy and thriving ....
    To me , as long as my son was still eating well...and poo'ing normally...and not like....cranky all the time or anything...I wouldn't worry :)
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 6:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• yep.

my oldest was long and skinny - she was always on the lower side of the scale for weight but height off the charts.
    middle was teeny tiny petite (she's still tiny - 30ishlbs and she's 6) - she eats like a horse but doesn't gain weight.

only my youngest was a 'normal' textbook baby.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My Dd went form the 90% at 1 month to now at 20 months being in the 4%. The doctor worried for a while but then it was decided that she was just small. As long as he is growing developing and hitting milestones I wouldn't spend to much time worrying about it. They may at some point try to freak you out but take it with stride and and just be patient. I think the tiny babies are cutest :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My son is tall too though (from 90 to 70% for height), but like I mentioned earlier, 8% for weight. I guess he has a strong metabolism. I feel better reading your answers. Thanks for responding so quickly. It has been upsetting me all week...I know I shouldn't worry, but I still do...just in case I'm the one who did something wrong. I wonder if I may feed him too much so that would make him nurse less?
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 6:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my son is skinny, he has always been below the 5th percentile, for weight, but as long as you lil one is gaining weight and is growing there shouldn't be much concern, remember your lil one is probably really active and burns off alot of the weight, from the food he eats.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 7:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• from 6mo to 1yr they are finding their spot in the growth curve. Mine( I have 3 children) drop in the curve a at that point yet they still gain at each appointment. Ped was telling me at DD's last appointment that this is vey normal. Eventully your child picks a spot in the growth curve and will stick to it.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• All my babies are small. My DD was in the 2% until she turned 3. Now she's 25%. If the child is growing at the right rate and mom and dad are small, then I wouldn't worry. If the baby isn't growing at the right rate OR mom and dad aren't small, then I'd ask more questions at the next doctor appointment.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Is your baby breastfed? My son's percentile dropped too at about that age. He is still in the 97% on his height, but only 35% on his weight. His still has fat rolls on his thighs and a buddha belly, but he is long and lanky. I was told that the charts they use are old and based off of mostly formula fed babies which, on average, are heavier than BF babies. My son nurses on demand and eats three meals a day and has plenty of dirty and wet diapers so he is definitely getting enough to eat, BUT he is also the busiest baby I've ever seen. Unless he's sick, when he's awake, he is MOVING. It seems like the slow down in weight gain coincided with him becoming more active like using bouncers and jumpy toys, then scooting, crawling, standing and now walking. I wouldn't really worry about it unless the baby starts to lose weight, that is what the Ped told me.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yeah, he's breastfed. Active? Not sure since he's not crawling yet. But he constantly moves his arms, kicks, and scoots around. He does eat very well, been drinking less some days, i guess due to his teething. My husband was very tiny as a kid, not too sure as a baby, but he was never big. I was an average baby. As long as it's normal and he's really ok, I'm fine...I guess not all babies have to b textbook babies. You know what's insane is that if someone else would tell me the same thing, I would tell them not to stress about it and blah blah blah, cause I understand the rationale and all, but since it's my little boy, I totally freak out, even after my ped reassured me. I must be nuts!
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 7:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My daughter is small too, almost 4 months and only 10.5 lbs. I am worried about her being too small but I feel better reading all of your answers! I was really small as a baby, and still am really, I'm only 5 feet tall. My husband is tall though. She is a really active baby, not crawling yet but CONSTANTLY moving. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
    MollieDoll

Answer by MollieDoll at 9:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2009