My breast milk has already come in!

Im 36wks an my breast milk as already come in i thought it wouldnt come in til after i have the baby! My breast are so sore an swollen! Urg anyone else have this happen an does anyone know why this is happing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it's not your breast milk it's colostrum it's what the baby eats before the milk comes in a few days after birth when you body produces oxytocin
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• your body is getting ready for the baby.. i am 32 weeks and i have been lactating ever since 29 weeks.. its normal, some women lactate sooner than others, some dont even get milk even after baby is born.. and most likely your milk is not milk its called calostone, i think thats how you spell it. its the premilk. its ok, its normal and you can lactate at any time. GL
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yep - I started lactating around 21 weeks - but I'm not sure if that was my body kicking into overdrive because I was going through preterm labor.
    It's perfectly normal - just your body preparing for the baby. Everyone starts lactating at different times.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:31 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Pre-term labor or not... I have NEVER heard of milk coming in prior to birth! When you guys say your milk came in, what do you actually mean?

I am 19 weeks and I woke up yesterday with my boobs feeling bigger, moved up a bra size and have the veins going down to my nipples (this all happened over night) but in no way would I say my milk "came in"
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• is not your milk like anno said, is colustrum.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Op here! I thought the pre milk was like a clear color wat i have is a cream color coming out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My colostrum was yellowish/cream colored.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• its colostrum it can be clear or creamy looking you are probly getting ingourged i had this with my first baby my boobs got hard as rocks and my nipples cracked and bleed, it happens to alot of women just call your dr iam sure the'll tell you laniolan lotion for sore nipples and hot compresses then later ice packes then alternate between hot and cold, i breast feed 4 babies if you get wic the women their can realy help also your dr can point you to a lactation expert
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• it's just colostrum.
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/colostrum.html
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:18 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My colostrum was whitish. It's actually like a concentrated version of breastmilk, with more antibodies and the things newborns need. When your milk comes in (and the instant boob job arrives), the milk that comes out at first will actually be very watery, and will turn thicker as you nurse (about 10 minutes into nursing). That's because you have foremilk and hindmilk, and is why it's important to nurse for 15-20 minutes on one side when you nurse, and not switch unless you've totally drained the first breast. Not that you asked, but I thought I would throw that in there. =)
    It's very normal for your breasts to be sore and swollen during pregnancy, and for this to get worse as you get further along. Try wearing a sleep bra at night, to keep then from getting rubbed, and to give them some support. Wear a good fitting bra during the day, and tell your hubby hands off!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:09 AM on Aug. 29, 2009