How can you deny there isn't adoption coercion after reading this

How can you deny there isn't adoption coercion after reading this?

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090914/joyce

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Adoption

• Since you chose to post anon so will I. Do you have a link from a less biased source?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think you meant "how can you deny there is coercion?"

But in any event...a completely unsurprising article.

I don't understand what the issue is with "birth mother" versus "relinquishing mother?" It adds up to the same thing, and to this adoptee the latter actually makes the birth/bio/what-have-you mom sound WORSE.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• so you can dismiss what they say by saying its bias. How do you know its not bias. how do you know it doesn't identify what so many people say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Look give someone anything and everything and they are yours for life. Take M.J. kids. Will they walk away from all of that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• In "Jordan's" case, obviously she was pressured into giving up her child, but it isn't the case in every adoption. I actually feel that a lot of places and society put a lot of pressure on young women to keep their babies, even if they were thinking of adopting them out. I love that there are supports for young women who want to keep their babies, it's wonderful that women aren't whisked away to an "aunts" house or a home for unwed mothers, but the downside of that is that once a girl is openly pregnant around school the assumption is automatically that she will be keeping the baby. And I feel that many people actually look down on some who do decide that adoption is the best option for them and their baby. There was a question on here not that long ago about what a "good enough" reason would be for adopting out a child, with the implication being that there really isn't one.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Completely one sided, there for, not credible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The story didn't sound too realistic. If she wanted to keep the baby she could have. It's not he agency's fault she couldn't provide. If they had never been in her life she still wouldn't have had a way to take care of the baby.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Some people believe only what they want/need to believe. If they don't like something like this article, they find ways to dismiss or ignore it, just like some of the previous posters did. I KNOW coercion exists because for years I have met many moms who experienced it. But, nothing will ever convince some people. They need to cling to the idea that ALL adoption is good, totally voluntary on the part of mothers who relinquish and should take place.

Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 9:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• We're beating a dead horse here. The coercion thing has been talked about too many times already. Hardly anyone will deny that coercion can still exist in the adoption world. Why keep asking questions like this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• This story is the biggest bunch of hogwash I have ever seen. It is laughable and not even debatable. Little more than someone's politcal agenda blog, come back and when you have legitimate source.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Aug. 29, 2009