travel with baby and toddler

I'm leaving for a 7 day vacation with my toddler and 9 month old and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. We are going to Pigeon Forge, TN which is about a 4 hour drive from home. We should have another adult along with my fiance and me so that we have a babysitter some nights...any insight in traveling with children and any suggestions from those that have been to Gatlinburg, TN?

singlemom4God

Asked by singlemom4God at 6:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well as far as the traveling goes I do this with my 3.5 year old and it works great. Just before we're leaving I go to the dollar store and get just a few toys that work for traveling, like matchbox cars, crayons, stickers, anything I think my son would enjoy thats at the store. I get new toys because they hold his attention longer since he's never seen them before. His toys he's played with time and time again so they're good for about 5 minutes. Spending just 10 bucks I can get a bunch of new little things and it keeps him entertained the entire car ride. I don't show him the new toys until we're in the car and I introduce them 1 at a time so they last longer, he doesn't realize there is more. I also bring lots of juice boxes and snacks so there's no I'm hungry whining. When he was an infant he just slept in the car, its actually the only time he slept so I never had to worry about traveling at that age. Enjoy your vaca!!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• pack toys,snacks,drinks. be prepared to make stops for potty breaks diaper changes and a chance o play to release some energy. bring with you safety items like outlet plugs and doorknob covers etc. bring your own travel crib if you can never use hotel ones as you just can't tell how safe they are. If you do use hotel crib inspect it well. also plan ahead for if they get sick ask your kids doctor/medical insurance for an recomendation for a physician , pharmmacy, and hospital/clinic where they can be seen if need be. Take baby tylenol with you and any meds they need to have.(If staying in a hotel a good way to store meds and stuff that could be unsafe for them to have- put it in a bag and put in bath room and close door with knob cover.) first thing when you get to hotel inspect the room for safety issues.goodluck!
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 8:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009