how do you keep a splint on a 1yr old??

My son is 1 and has a hairline fracture on his arm right below his elbow, and the people at the urgent care put him in a splint, and he has learned to take it off, and i've tried everything to keep it on him from hidding the part of the wrap the unvelcrows(sp) to putting him in long sleaves. He will either pull the sleeve up and pull off the wrap, or finds away to get it off. He needs to wear it until he see's an orthopedist, which won't be until sept 2, the soonest they could see him.

vgiron

Asked by vgiron at 6:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my husbanc is an orthotist and I saw your question , I asked him and he said to gently tape it around the velcro, also make him wear mittens, he says this is an almost impossibe situation you are in. I don't knwo if you are a big believer is sweets, but he his old enough to understand don't touch the cast, and mommy will give you a treat! Gently my husband is telling me to wrap tape on it!! Mittens to bed, and he said call the doc, and tell them you want no further injury to it, is there anyway you can see another orthotist, at a different office sooner? Good luck, and he told me to tell you if your baby is in anymore pain take him to the ER and DEMAND a cast!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Another thing you could try... take an old adult sock... make a whole at the toe big enough for his fingers and a tiny hold on the side for his thumb then slip it over his splint and tape it up on top (around the sock not on his skin) so he can't pull it off. He won't be able to pull it down and won't be able to pull it up either. We do something kind of like this in the hospital to keep kids from pulling out their IV.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• whole= hole LOL
    AmiJanell