Breastfed baby (9 months old) eating solids but won't drink out of a bottle nor a sippy cup!!

Any tips? I wish I could have some freedom and be able to leave him with a sitter sometimes...

DavineandLiam

Asked by DavineandLiam at 7:00 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• skip the bottle all together, there is no reason for him to have it.

What I did with Kaylee was I put Water with a little juice (like 3/4 water 1/4 juice) in a sippy cup and just let her have it throughout the day.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• but even the sippy, he wouldn't drink out of it. He did once or twice but now, he'll only chew on the spout but won't drink anything.
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 7:13 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I had the same problem... never figured it out... She started taking a bottle and sippy when I stopped nursing her.
    My pediatrician back then told me to leave her with daddy for a few hours and she will probably take the bottle... well... end of story was she was 6 hours alone with daddy and did not take the bottle but was screaming because she was hungry, and daddy was about ready to kill himself... lol
    Sorry, I'm not a big help...
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Who's givng the bottle or cup?> If it's you while you're standing right there, then she's gonna think you've gone nuts! It's sort of like going to grandma's house when she's just finished baking her best cookies. You'd be pretty hurt if she offered you stale store-bought cookies when you're smelling the aroma of the fresh-baked. (Or you'd think gran was half-baked!)

Baby knows you've got the good stuff...so make sure you're gone when a bottle...or better yet a cup...is offered.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My 11th month old didn't catch the hang of a sippy cup until right around 9 months. Before then I would pump milk and, by chance, discovered that he would drink it from a baby bowl like he was drinking milk out after cereal. I then found out he would drink out of a plain ol' cup. As soon as his lips would touch the edge of a cup he would begin sucking on it. I guess he never saw me drink from a sippy so he didn't know what to do with it, but my Tervis Tumbler I always drink from he figured out. I was also able to give him milk from those 2oz plastic mouthwash cups. He loved it so much he would start begging for milk everytime he saw one. While he drinks from a sippy just fine now, he has some days when all he wants is milk straight from the source and I can't get juice or anything else down him. Other days, especially if I'm not around, he will empty the cup. Keep offering it to him, with different things, he'll get it.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Not to mention if he's eating solids there is no reason you can't leave him with a sitter. What I do when I'm going to be gone for awhile in the afternoons is to replace one of his normal solids meals with breastmilk and let grandma give him solids and water or juice while I'm gone.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 7:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• @WindytheWidow I do leave him sometimes, but stress so much about it and come back no longer than 2 hours later! I like your suggestion of giving breast milk instead of solids (when solid time) so the sitter can give him the solids while I'm gone...I thought of it but was so afraid to break his eating routine...I know, i may sound a little texbook-mom gaga, but since we had such a great routine for feedings and sleep, I am terrified by the idea of changing the routine and that it would impact him, with no -turning point. Anyways. also, he does like to drink from the source so maybe I shouldn't worry too much about the sippy? I'll just have to hold the cup down for him as it gets very messy. He'll only drink off a cup, like me. Again, no freedom for me...
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 7:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Thanks to all of you by the way for answering me. :)
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 7:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You can still maintain a routine while making certain variations. It was hard for me to learn that it was really "okay" for me to leave my son, that he would be just fine and survive without me for more than two hours. Not necessarily an easy feat, lol. Even though he eats solids, when I'm around he still wants to nurse every couple of hours. If I'm gone he happily eats other things, no problem. I just tell anyone that is watching him to offer him something to eat if he is showing signs of hunger or I leave them with the foods I want him to eat while I'm gone. If I know what time I'll be back I ask that he not be given any milk/juice, etc, right before I get home so that he'll want to nurse. It works out pretty well and the freedom is great. Before he was eating solids, or still getting ninety percent of his calories from BM, I never left for more than 2 hours at a time. This afternoon I was gone for 4 and it was great.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009