How do you work with a teen boy into adult things?

Into porn, smoking, and drinking
Also is a stepkid with no respect

STowle

Asked by STowle at 7:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Your house your rules. They're followed or kid has no 'toys' of whatever for x long every single time there's mis- or bad behavior. My sil is a step and that's what she does. Her steps has really become a better person because she's followed through on respectful expectations and punishment for mis- and bad behavior.

Your house your rules no matter what your husband says, you have rights to have your home in a certain way of respect of and selfrespect for everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Well, it's really not your responsibility to change him. It is your responsibility to enforce the rules as you see fit in your own home. If I were in your situation, I would simply say he is not allowed in my house without my rules being enforced. The above-mentioned things, i.e., porn, smoking and drinking is not adult per say. It is wrong no matter how you look at it. You have rights to protect your other children as well. Stick to them!
    Anonymous

• Both my hubby and I stick to the house rules, but the teen just doesn't followthem when his dad isn't home. Sending him to his mother is not an option. She lives in a small 1 1/2 bedroom trailer with her 18 y/o daughter and 11 y/o daughter (my step-daughter). His mother has no structure in the home for rules and any contact he has with her makes things worse after. He now has to do community service for stealing. My hubby's decided that if this kid doesn't change his ways that the day he turns 18, he's out of the house.
    STowle

Answer by STowle at 2:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2010