breastfeeding and peeling nipples...

My son is 2 and and I've never had any problems with nursing. Recently, my nipples have been very sore and today the skin is peeling off of them. It hurts like hell.
Why is this just happening now? What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with the pp. Lansinoh cream is nontoxic. On top of that, if you are able, try to go without a bra as much as you can and wear thin shirts. It helps keep the area dried out so it won't crack as badly and can heal better. Does it hurt when your nursling nurses? If it does I would be concerned about possible thrush. Check in your LO's mouth for patches of white cottage cheese looking growth that bleeds when you try to scrape it off. In that case, you and your lo would need to eat some probiotics and possibly buy some gentian violet. Worst case scenario you go to your dr for some prescription nystasin cream.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 3:38 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Put A&D ointment on them and lay off the breastfeeding till they're healed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Lansinoh cream is the best thing i used for sore,cracked nipples. It even helped me when my one nipple bled from unlatching the wrong way. It comes in a purple tube and is applied after every feeding and it won't hurt the little one. its non-toxic.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009