Is BFing THAT much of a pain?

I'm expecting my first this Nov (yay!) and I am positive that I want to BF. But my friend is trying to talk me out of it, telling me horror stories & saying that FF is just easier. I don't care whether you FF or BF, i would just like some BFing support. I know it is best for baby AND mommy!

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 7:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• listen to ( this) cousin not friends =P It was pretty difficult the first 2 weeks with DS- in fact I wanted to cry every time he woke and wanted to nurse... my milk wasn't in( for the first few days), my nipples were cracked and bleeding( bad nursing pads ...get lansinoh), I was super engorged( once my milk came in). etc. That being said I went on to nurse him for the next 19m and Im so grateful I did... ( on day 15 in magically went away)Just know that for the first few weeks ( like 2) is a learning period for the 2 of you , although natural- its a new experience for both of you... after that initial learning process it will become the natural way to you and you'll wonder how people get up in the middle of the night to make a bottle.I will give you every tidbit I have when it comes to nursing ( but in person since I don't feel like typing it all)BF is healthier ( for both of u) natural,free & easier once u get the nack of it
    RippledBegonias

Answer by RippledBegonias at 11:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• What is BFIng and FFing?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group. We'll give you all the support you need. And we will tell you all the truths...even the bitter ones. Yeah. It's hard.

So are babies.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• BF = Breastfeeding

FF = Formula Feeding

Answer by gdiamante at 7:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• DONT LISTEN TO UR FRIEND!! SHE DOESNT SOUND VERY SMART. YES BF IS DIFFUCULT SOMETIMES. THATS WHY THERE IS BF BOOK,CLASSES,CONSULTANS AND LA LECHE LEAGUE!!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I can definitely see where it is hard to get used to, but I want what is best for my baby! Thanks for your help, ladies!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 7:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree, don't listen to anybody but yourself on this. Go with what you want to do. BF is such a wonderful thing for you and the baby. I did a llittle of both with my first son and when i exclusively breastfed my 3rd son i know for sure breastfeeding is wayyyyy easier than FF. It was for me anyway. I didn't have to make any bottles...EVER!! I did not have to bring bottles with me or i didn't have any bottles to wash. It was also such a bonding experience with my son and healthier for him too.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I can only speak from my personal experience. I will not try to convince you either way.

Personally, yes it was that much of a pain. It was not my nipples that hurt, it was sharp shooting pains through the breast, the sharp pain that felt like my back rib was being pulled with each suck he made.

I never bonded with him as a newborn. Not until I started formula feeding did I want him around me at all.

When my other kids were born, I went straight to formula. Yes, for me it was that much of a pain. Physically and emotionally I (and my baby) suffered.

It has since come to light that there are some medical issues here.

You're positive you want to breastfeed, then why does it matter what your friend says?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I have been breastfeeding for 9 months and absolutely love it! As long as the baby latches well, it shouldn't hurt, or maybe a little at first, which you should put some Lanolin cream on before or after each feeds. There's nothing sweeter than this bonding time and feeling your baby so close to you. I heard people hating the hassle of it, but I thought I was so practical! Didn't have to clean bottles, sterilize them and all...save so much money on formula and plus, lost all my baby fat in less than 2 months and lost even more than my initial weight before preggo. Best effortless diet ever!
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 8:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It sounds like a very petty jealousy thing and your friend trying to make herself feel better about not pushing through and giving baby the best. You know what is best & you have to realize that while breastfeeding may not come naturally at first it is worth every hurdle. Make some breastfeeding friends and realize that some will always try to sabotage your breastfeeding relationship and those are the people that you need to tune out. Congratulations on your impending birth!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Aug. 28, 2009