anyone have a bby at 34 weeks an wat was the outcome? any response is highly appreciated

momatonly16

Asked by momatonly16 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My sister worked in the NICU for 20yrs. and now works L/D. She has had babies in her unit that were born at 25wks and less. Babies past that, especially after 30wks. has an excellent chance. I think 35wks. the baby will be fine. I had all 3 of mine at 38wks. though. I hope this helps a little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I gave birth to twins at 32 weeks. They were small but their lungs were mature and we had very little problem in NICU. They were there for 3 weeks. They are now 11 and have developmental problems but we are unsure if that had anything to do with their birth. I was told that most premies, except for the tiny ones do just fine and catch up in growth and development by 18 months. At 34 weeks with a single baby you are probably only looking at a little time in NICU or special care nursery. The rule around here is that they have to be 4 lbs, able to regulate body temprature outside of an incubator, and nurse from a premie bottle. At 34 weeks it is likely that your baby will be able to do most of that and will probably only stay one to two days.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Problems that occur vary from baby to baby. Generally there are problems with sucking, regulating body heat, breathing, llegs and eyes. The stay in the NICU can vary from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to a couple of months. There can be long long lasting problems from minor to severe...there really is no predicting.

I was a premie myself, born at 34 weeks. My left side has always been weaker than my right and I've got knock knees (typical problem).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• omg thanks u guys for the responses i truly appreciate it i am very high risk an my doc said she wnt stop my labor at 34wks an im just worried
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My friend had a baby at 33 weeks. Baby was in NICU for a week, then was sent home. Both mom and baby are doing wonderfully 18 months later!

Good luck!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i had my son at 34 weeks. he had an e coli infection from my water being broken for so long but they gave him antibiotics for that for 7 days and he was fine. he had jawndice so they kept him under the lights also. but he was only in the NICU for 7 days and then he came home and hes perfectly healthy and perfect =)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009