Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicaid Question.....

In the State of Texas can you qualify for Medicaid if you have medical insurance? What if your ex is active duty military?

Answer Question
 
eluc

Asked by eluc at 8:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 15 (2,230 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • NO
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • yes
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • maybe
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • Medicaid in general is the same throughout the country, Yes, you can still get Medicaid if you have private insurance. The private insurance would be the primary payer and Medicaid will be the secondary payer. In other words if your private insurance only covers 80% then medicaid will pick up the other 20%. The same is true for Tricare if you have private insurance they pay fist then Tricare will pay what ever is still uncovered. If you have Medicaid and Tricre then tricare pays first and Medicaid pays second. Thing is Tricare and Medicaid come out of the same federal money so you will find Medicaid to be very similar to Tricare. The only difference is that with Tricare the Federal government manages it and Medicaid the Federal government gives the money to the state and the state manages it.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • IT depends, a CHILD can have medicaid and private insurance but an adult cannot. I had to stop using medicaid when I got private insurance, even though I had to pay $400 a month premium plus $25 office copays and $25-50 copays for meds (I take 3 meds a month and my son takes 2). I was spending so much on medical that I couldn't pay my bills. I asked if I could keep medicaid for secondary and they said no because I had private insurance. Check with your caseworker to make sure.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • Would someone have to lie about it to qualify?..... Here is the situation. A relative, not me, is pregnant and married. I know she had to lie about her living arrangements in order to qualify. She got Medicaid for herself, her daughter with her husband, and her two kids with her ex. The ex is/was in The Navy. And he pays child support and has them privately insured. She said the same thing about using it for the co-pay..... Anyhow, they both got letters From the Medicaid office and the Ex's Wife is pissed!! I know she is going to fight this because I am sure the State of Texas is going to seek more money from them. I am just wondering when she shows proof of insurance and that they pay child support. What the goverment will do, Go after the dad or my relative......... This is why I don't lie to qualify for goverment help, it will come bite you in the ass!!!
    eluc

    Answer by eluc at 9:24 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN