Do you think seeking a degree in anthropology is useless/stupid/whatever?

I'm passionately interested in the study of ancient cultures and societies and history and all that. I'm just not sure how hard it would be to find a job with an anthropology degree. My SIL's mom told me I was "stupid" for wanting to go to college for it.

Hey, at least I WANT to go to college...

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• College is NEVER stupid. Now whether you can actually use that degree towards a career may be an issue but knowledge is never a bad thing. What are you thinking of doing with the degree? Teaching? You could be an awesome prof one day. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Haaaaa I've always wanted to be one of the Indiana Jones types LMAO. But really, I would like to do some sort of research, either in a museum like the Smithsonian or in a site itself like Egypt or Greece and Italy. I'm scared to tell people that I want to do it because I'm scared they'll think I'm a nerd. I know it also takes years of college classes and right now I just plain don't have time or the money to pursue it. Maybe when my daughter is a little bit older I'll seriously consider it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• gl and go for it.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Do your due diligence. Determine possible career tracks before committing to this area of study.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Sounds interesting; go for it!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• You could go into forensic anthropology, then you could get a job with law enforcement or even the FBI.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 9:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If I was you I'd research the possible jobs available before undertaking a certain area. find out what jobs there are, how much turnaround they have for positions (do people come and go at a fast rate or is it really hard to get in?), what's the pay, where do you have to move or live to be able to get the right position you need.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:04 PM on Aug. 29, 2009