second opinion

hi i need serious advice. my daughter has been dealing with constipation since birth. we take her to a GI doctor and she ahs been on miralax for about a year. Recently they did an abdominal xray and it shows she has a major amount of poop backed up in her intestines. the GI doctor has said she is withholding, but i don't think she is. she sits on the toilet and strains and can't get it out. and she cries and everything. he wants me to increase her miralax to two capfuls a day this seems a bit much to me. i am not sure what to do would you get a second opinion??

jnthn949

Asked by jnthn949 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Health

• Poor thing...sounds simple but have you tried organic apple juice?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I would put her on a high fiber, plant based diet: lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans. Dairy and bananas are constipating; meat does not have any fiber. Lots of water, too.
    Let me know if you need meal or recipe ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My DD held her BM for a long time, it was for several weeks when she was 3, she went to the bathroom once and it hurt, so she stopped going. She held it so long her body no longer gave her the signal to try to have a BM. We went to Dr to Dr to Dr, Xray showed she was backed all the way up with stool impaction, I had to give her an enema every night for a 8 days, two stool softners everyday for a few months and 2 tablespoons of mineral oil a day, to get her system first cleaned out then back on track. She is 17 now and no longer has a problem... Something so simple worked so well for her.
    I would get a second opinion.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Oh, forgot to mention, the last Dr I went to was the one that told me what to do and for how long LOL, he also kept a close eye on her for awhile and about a month after the treatment did another Xray to make sure she was back on track...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:18 PM on Aug. 28, 2009