what kind of fish should I get?

ok, i asked about an Oscar fish in a 20-30 gallon tank. since that is obviously out of the question after the advice i got then tell me what I CAN put in there with my Pleco.

nowaygourmet

Asked by nowaygourmet at 8:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pets

• Community fish...
    Zebra danios
    Neon Tetras
    Red Minor Tetras
    Lamp eye Tetras
    Platys
    Swords
    Mollies

Semi- Aggressive-
    Tiger Barbs
    Giant Danios
    Gouramis- Gold, Blue

African Cichlids- stay smaller, like higher ph
    Johannis
    Ahli's
    Bumblebees
    Labidochromis
    Auratus
    Kenyi

The thing about semi-aggressive fish is that they get big as well as an oscar does.
    Tiger Barbs stay small, but they are beyond evil. Those dudes are serious fin nippers, so a large school is better than a small one.
    A school is defined as 3 or more.
    Also, only get 2-3 fish at a time when adding to the tank. Start very slowly only adding once a week so that your water quality does not vary too much. If you drop 5 fish in at a time, your ammonia and nitrites will rise to deadly levels.

mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 10:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I dont know much about fish! Is it saltwater? If so nemo fish and angelfish are mild and very cute! So are seahorses! If it is freshwater, all I really know is those suckerfish, tank cleaners, goldfish, and beta(which would be out of the question too more than likely)
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• to mcginnisc. I don't know what most of those fish are. I am wanting to have possibly up to 3 fish total including my pleco so i am interested in larger than small tetras.

i am wondering about maybe a blood parrot.
    nowaygourmet

Answer by nowaygourmet at 10:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• By pleco, do you mean plecostlemus? I have 2 plecostlemus in with guppies, neon tetras, GloFish, Rasbora Hets, and have had Platys and Mollies in there too. I like the guppies and the Rasboras best. The Rasboras are Silver with a black triangle from their fins to the base of their tails, but the silver gleams with rainbow colors. Also, the guppies come in a WIIIIIDE array of colors! They're little fish, but if you get a bunch, you can see their little schools separate from the others!

I wouldn't be too concerned with the Ph and crud, I never test my water, and I've had the 2 plecostlemus in the same 10gal tank with my other fish for over 2 years. I have never changed out the water, but I have a great filter, a bubble bar, and a small heater in there (for when it's cold...) and they do just fine. I add water when it gets low... but I never drain it or anything. Once in a while if there's poop at the bottom I get some of
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• $0.10 ghost shrimp from walmart and they eat the poop off the bottom. I've never had them long, over much more than a month, but my suckers eat them when they do die. Fish are easier than a lot of hobbyists make them out to be. Just depends on how much maintenance you want. Mine's easy. I feed every other day, and they're healthy and fine.

(I have neons that are in there that will have been in there for 3 years come Thanksgiving!)
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:53 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• OP-
    If you are looking for just 2 fish to go with the Pleco, then you could go with a couple of Blood Parrots ( beware- they can be very aggressive and get 8" each), the African Cichlids that I listed above are in the same family as Oscars and Blood Parrots but they stay small.. usually no more than about 4-6" long.
    They do like a higher ph as they originally come from low lying ponds, lakes in Africa that have high ph.
    Personally, I prefer Cichlids after having them for the past 15 years. I'm not a huge fan of community fish like Platies, tetras, etc...
    Your new tank needs to cycle for at least a week before adding anything to it. Keep your Pleco where it is for at least 2-3 weeks after getting the new tank. There needs to be some natural bacteria in there for him to survive the move. Also, be sure that you feed him cucumbers, zucchini, or algae wafers as they need them to live. They only scrape algae with the plates
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:46 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• in their mouth, they don't eat algae on the sides of the tank. Feed it at night and the little dude will do his job cleaning the tank after he eats.

Let me know if you have any questions.. I've had tanks forever. ( since I was a young kid and I'm in my 30's now)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I would not get get cichlids, unless you have no problem explaining survival of the fittest to your kids.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:59 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My fish-
    5 blood fin tetras(community, 2")
    3 thread fin rainbows(community,1.5")
    1 boesemani rainbow(community, 3")
    1 pictus cat fish(Aggressive, 4")
    1 albino cory(semi aggresive, 2.5")
    2 gouramis(semi aggresive, 3")
    1 tiger pleco(semi aggresive, 4")

Yes, my fish do vary in size which I dont suggest to anyone with little experience.
    Be sure to research whatever fish you take interest in. Many websites will tell you different temperaments on the fish of your interest. What I usually do when I go to pet stores, is sit there and watch to see how they react with other fish in the tank. You can be looking at 5 of the same species of fish, but only one might be very aggressive... Obviously, this isnt the one you would want lol.
    Good luck... I love my fish tank, been going at it since I was 14~
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:41 AM on Aug. 30, 2009

• It depends. I absolutley love beta fish they are easiest to take care of!
    Coolmommy1

Answer by Coolmommy1 at 5:49 AM on Aug. 30, 2009