Would you buy homemade pies and desserts?

So I was thinking about ways to make some extra money around the holidays since money will be tight after having a new baby in Novemeber. I really love cooking and baking and thought maybe I could make desserts for people. I always meet people around the holidays or hear them say that they aren't good at baking or don't have time and would love to have something homemade and not just store bought or out of the freezer. And would like to have something that tastes better than store bought. So before I actually go into doing this, would you buy homemade pies and desserts? And how much should I charge and would you be willing to pay if it were you buying one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes and what's your price and how much is shipping:~) I LOVE baked cookies. I will pay for express shipping.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:32 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'm sure lots of people would. Figure out your cost of ingredients for each item you want to offer and then add 20% for your time..at least to start. Put upnicely decorated cards in your market, barbershop, salons, daycare if they have a board. All the resaurants around here have a board where people can put their cards. Sounds like a great work from home idea for the holidays.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• If I had a neighbor who was selling baked good, I'd buy. Not sure how much I'd pay. For quality stuff, then I'd pay at least what a bakery charged. Something you should watch out for though is Health Department regulations. It could be illegal for you to sell stuff if you aren't licensed. Maybe if you kept it very small? Not advertise widely. I'm not sure. I don't know about legal issues. Such as what if someone bites a cherry seed and breaks a tooth, would you be liable. or if someone is allergic to apples and you used applejuice in your pumpkin pie.... You'd have to have an ingredients list. I don't want to discourage you, just some things I wonder about. And if you were my neighbor, I'd buy from you.

Answer by Bmat at 9:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Well, if I were to do this, I would have a list of ingredients for each thing and show/tell it to people for allergy reasons. From what I have seen at Wal-Mart and other grocery stores the average price of a pie is $6-12.
    mlg87ok

Answer by mlg87ok at 9:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I didn't realize the question was anonymous until now but I can't edit it. And raemommy cookies are what I do best. I used to ship cookies to my husband and his friends when they were in Tech School after they got out of BMT.
    mlg87ok

Answer by mlg87ok at 9:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Years ago I sold cookies to my friends at the holidays....actually, the started it, my husband was laid off, and they all knew I baked and just started calling and asking to place orders for cookies. I didn't sell them to people I didn't know.

I do agree with Bmat though, you should be careful, most states, cities and/or counties have health regulations, so you probably should check that out, especially if you sell to people that you don't know personally. You may also need business insurance, if anyone claimed to be sick by something you sold....and you can get bad ingredients....you could be liable.

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:58 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I don't plan on selling to strangers, I only plan on selling to people I know and probably some of the guys in my husbands shop.
    mlg87ok

Answer by mlg87ok at 10:11 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My mother did this years ago. Just by word of mouth she started getting more people wanting cakes than she was able to handle and had to turn people down. They usually knew what kind of cake they wanted so she did not supply a list of ingredients.
    tweeta

Answer by tweeta at 10:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Yes each state has health regulations for home bakers and cooks. The last time I checked, in NC, where I live you can sell home baked goods without a licnese if you do not advertise. I think business cards qualify advertising. If you are'nt legal, you could face fines. Then there's the matter of insurance for your own safety.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• mY HUSBANDS grandma does this, and she treats it like a business. She's always busy
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:42 AM on Aug. 29, 2009