What do I do?

In the place I live this idiot uncle of my fiance left the front door open on a busy street and let my dog run out and didn't even run after him or grab him! He got ran over! Now my mom has paid 1500 in vet bills, and we are supposed to pay her back. But I think he should have to pay it! Do I have a case here or is it pointless?

AidensMommy20

Asked by AidensMommy20 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Pets

• he should! fore SURE. but the thing is....he probably WONT.....
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't go there with family. You are ultimately responsible for your pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Small claims court.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I don't think of him as family, he is a jerk and probably did it on purpose, i hate him! So why shouldn't I go there?
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• He should pay but like PP said probably won't. You live with him so if it was me, I wouldn't push the issue unless you have somewhere else to go.

I'm so sorry about your dog.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I know he probably wont, but could I win in court? Is it possible?
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I think you could win a case against him. Does he show any remorse for what he did? If not, I would definitely persue it. If he does truly feel bad about it and it was an accident, I don't think I would take him to court, but I would politely ask him to help with the vet bills.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:30 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Probably more trouble than it is worth to sue him. Not sure you could win anyway. You sould check with a lawyer though
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My neighbor put re-bar (iron stakes) on the property line. My Weimeraner slipped on the wet grass, became impaled on one. He instantly pulled himself off, but during it, it ripped his chest open. I was right there when it happened. Rush to the vet clinic, surgery, etc. I took the guy to small claims. He paid the whole bill.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:00 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Your uncle is legally responsible, but to win in court, you will have to prove he let the dog out (negligence). If you can get signed statements from one or two people that were there and saw it, you would probably win and the judge would order him to pay the vet bils, or pay your mom back, if she already paid the vet. If he didn't pay after that, he would be in contempt of court orders.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:24 AM on Aug. 30, 2009