how do i get my 4year old to stay in his bed at nite??

my girls will sleep in there beds all nite but my son wakes up every nite and calls his dad and it keeps us from getting alot of sleep i have tried giving him his own room for some independence that didnt help even when he sleeps with his sisters that doesnt help i have tried nite lights please give advice

youngmamaluv

Asked by youngmamaluv at 10:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter gets up in the middle of the night. We put a baby gate in her doorway to keep her from roaming the house or climbing in bed with us. We can hear her, but we know she is safe and will eventually go back to sleep on her own if we just let her go. You may just have to keep getting up and putting him back telling him this is his bed and he needs to sleep here. A few nights of this and he should stay in his own bed at night.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Well, first I'd try to figure out WHY he's waking up. Is he having too much sugar during the day? Does he have to use the bathroom? Is he not tired due to a daytime nap?

After that, he just needs to learn that everyone stays in their own bed at night. Is this a recent thing? Or was he in your bed a lot as a smaller child/baby? Is there any reason for him to think that his calling out for daddy will get him somewhere? How have you handled the situation so far? (Not the night lights and room situation, but I mean....how do you react when it happens?)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:28 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I've tried the supernanny technique but me doing it all by myself is exhausting. My son is 3 and either me or my husband will stay in his room until he falls asleep. Only occasionally my son will want to sleep in our bed. I don't mind him sleeping in our bed once in awhile.
    Laceymay

Answer by Laceymay at 8:18 PM on Sep. 6, 2009