Flying to cali...

My son is 3 months and i need some flying tips. I have no clue what im doing. Please help.

Asked by Shelii at 10:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you and your son will be fine just make sure you have your carry on with his items, water, milk, diapers wipes etc. give him a bottle taking off and landing so it's not too much pressure on his ears. i use to fly back and forth to cali with my baby all the time. we're from sacramento.

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Just make sure he is either sucking or chewing on something while taking off and landing if he isn't sleeping. Use a bottle instead of breastfeeding if you are BF. That way he can get his ears to pop. Other wise it will be horrible for him.

Answer by MizAnn at 10:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree with the previous answer about him sucking on something. Check the TSA website for all of their regulations, so you know what to expect at security. I was prepared for people to be complete jerks when they saw me with a baby, but most people were actually awesome and most security people were more helpful that I expected. Give yourself extra time at the airport and enjoy your trip!

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I flew to california from Alabama with my son when he was 4 months. I was terrified he would cry the whole time. He never made a peep. He slept the whole trip. I think the noise in the airplane soothes them. If their ears pop, sometimes that can bother them, though. I recommend flying on a big plane, if you have a choice. I ordered my tickets online and was able to choose my seat. Choose one that has the three seats is a row. Also, if you fly on a weekday, there may not be as many passengers. There was a man sitting next to us but after everyone boarded and he saw empty seats, he moved so that we could have more room. Personally I think he didn't want to sit near a baby. Also, if you don't already know, your baby flies free, and they just stow the carrier in the closet. I carried a pillow and let him sleep on top of it, cause the seats are a bit hard. We were pretty comfortable stretched out over three seats. good luck!

Answer by Mommy0425 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Oh yeah! I wasn't aware of this until it was too late. in San Diego, they wouldn't let me board with my nursery water or liquid formula b/c the bottles were more than four ounces. You can't carry anything liquid bigger than that. i had to leave it and buy more water at the gate.

Answer by Mommy0425 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009