Flying to cali...

My son is 3 months and i need some flying tips. I have no clue what im doing. Please help.

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 10:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you and your son will be fine just make sure you have your carry on with his items, water, milk, diapers wipes etc. give him a bottle taking off and landing so it's not too much pressure on his ears. i use to fly back and forth to cali with my baby all the time. we're from sacramento.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Just make sure he is either sucking or chewing on something while taking off and landing if he isn't sleeping. Use a bottle instead of breastfeeding if you are BF. That way he can get his ears to pop. Other wise it will be horrible for him.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 10:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree with the previous answer about him sucking on something. Check the TSA website for all of their regulations, so you know what to expect at security. I was prepared for people to be complete jerks when they saw me with a baby, but most people were actually awesome and most security people were more helpful that I expected. Give yourself extra time at the airport and enjoy your trip!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I flew to california from Alabama with my son when he was 4 months. I was terrified he would cry the whole time. He never made a peep. He slept the whole trip. I think the noise in the airplane soothes them. If their ears pop, sometimes that can bother them, though. I recommend flying on a big plane, if you have a choice. I ordered my tickets online and was able to choose my seat. Choose one that has the three seats is a row. Also, if you fly on a weekday, there may not be as many passengers. There was a man sitting next to us but after everyone boarded and he saw empty seats, he moved so that we could have more room. Personally I think he didn't want to sit near a baby. Also, if you don't already know, your baby flies free, and they just stow the carrier in the closet. I carried a pillow and let him sleep on top of it, cause the seats are a bit hard. We were pretty comfortable stretched out over three seats. good luck!
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Oh yeah! I wasn't aware of this until it was too late. in San Diego, they wouldn't let me board with my nursery water or liquid formula b/c the bottles were more than four ounces. You can't carry anything liquid bigger than that. i had to leave it and buy more water at the gate.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 28, 2009