So my daughter had her 4 month check up today...doc said we can start on rice cereal and oatmeal and then when she gets that down, baby food. She is growing great with what she is eating now (breastmilk only) (97th % for heith and 75th% for weight) I kinda feel like I should wait......I mean, its just another expense, right? When did you start on all of that and what is your advice? Thanks!

dorie84

Asked by dorie84 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you don't have to start right then. some people wait until 6 months or longer. i started at 3 months but thats just me...
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 10:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i started my daughter at 4 months
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My pediatrician has told me that the new recommendation is no food until 6 months old. If you are happy with how your child is eating, and your child is happy, why change it?
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 10:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The AAP recommends at least 6 months exclusive breastfeeding and there is no medical reason to introduce ANY solids until 12 months. Before that it's just for fun and practice.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• We started cereal at six months. Four months just seemed so young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• so your 11 month old is going to be sustained just on BM thats insane. im sorry but thats too long to go without solids and they say if you wait that long they have a hard time accepting real foods. i heard 9 months at the latest is fine though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It really depends on what you feel is right. I know that some groups are suggesting only breastmilk until 6 months. I wouldnt wait longer than that b/c they need to get used to the different textures. My son started rice cereal at 4 months and by 5 months was enjoying veggies and fruit. Now at 11 months, he LOVES food. As for the expense. Baby cereal is CHEAP. At first they eat only a few tsp. SO, it goes a loooong way. The fruits and veggies are a bit more, but you can easily and inexpensivly make your own. Let me know if you have anymore questions!!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• ok thanks for all your help! im goin with my instinct :)
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I exclusivly BF until 6 months when we started cereal. Neither of them ate more than a few bites of solids until around 9 months, which I was completely happy with. Like a PP said, if you are BFing there is no reason to start solids until 12 months anyway. You do what you are comfortable doing.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Lol, no they will accept food just fine after a year :p And breastmilk changes to accomodate the needs of the growing child. There's truly no medical reason for solids until after a year, when they need the iron in other foods.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009