Bottle vs sippy cup

When did you get your little one to drink exclusivly from a cup? My doc says he should be only drinking by one year. He is 11 months and is NOT ready to give it up? Just wondering what the average age is?

crazy4u49033

Asked by crazy4u49033 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son was exclusively sippy at 9 months
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My 12 month old still won't give up the bottle. Her doctor just told me to try to get her off by 15-16 months.
    HeatherChicky

Answer by HeatherChicky at 10:25 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• We took the bottle away completly at one year. he had no problem with it. taking the pacifier, however, took a bit longer. lol
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Mine was nine months when I started taking her bottles away, I found these sippy cups had tops that were similar to a bottle and started with them once I got her to drinking these only I started giving her sippy cups. I think she was about a year old when she was fully switched.
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 10:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Well i wish i would have started Tre earlier then when we started to swing him off but he is now 20 months now and he has been on the sippy now for 4+5 months now.. Now i know what to do differently for our second lol
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 10:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Both of my girls were sippy only by 12 months. I would only give water in the bottle and the "good stuff" in the sippy. They basically switched to sippy's on there own.
    firewinky38

Answer by firewinky38 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I believe I started mine about 11 months. I started slowly, for lunch and dinner. I had trouble for a while with milk but I think it was because they associated milk with bottle. I just looked for the sippies that had a top with the same type of top as their bottles to start. Then when they were fine using the sippy during the day I took away the night and morning bottles. I figured that if they wanted their milk they would eventually drink it.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 11:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• my son was breastfeed for 13 months and never wanted anything to do with a bottle so he was using a cup by 6 months, and that's about the time my doctor told us to introduce it, but I think around a year like you said is a good age for most! Hope this helps!
    aidyns_mommy

Answer by aidyns_mommy at 11:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• mine is just about to be 1. She drinks from a sippy but is more comfortable with her bottle when laying down. Since I really just started with the sippy Im sure itll take a few months for her to go with it completely.
    crystaleve29

Answer by crystaleve29 at 2:38 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• My son has never had a bottle or a "sippy cup" . We started him with a cup with a straw at 8 months.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 5:25 AM on Aug. 29, 2009