Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats the best way to disinfect my babys toys and how often?

 
adensmommy14

Asked by adensmommy14 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • i used to work in the hospital, infant care. We used a basic bleach/water solution and lysol. Fill a tub or sink with water, put 1-2 capfulls of the bleach in the water, let toys sit for 10 minutes. You can either just take them out and let them air dry, or you can rinse them off with water (i always rinsed too).

    If you use lysol (spray or wipes), after 10 minutes, i always wash with soapy water and rinse. Sometimes any other cleaning products may leave a residue that can harm baby (if you wash your toys daily). Bleach/water solution honestly is the best. I use lysol wipes on my walls, then go over it after 10 min. with a wet washcloth to get any residue left.

    You can also put toys in your dishwasher and use the sani rinse cylce if you have one. I do this at home too.

    Just be careful using odd methods. You never know how your baby would react to one (like the citrus sensitivity, which is not all that uncommon).

    citymama707

    Answer by citymama707 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Plastic toys can be put into a sink full of water with just a few drops of bleach in them. Let them sit for 10-15 minutes, then let them air dry in a dish rack...I think I saw it on GMA.
    ohwrite

    Answer by ohwrite at 10:36 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • For soft toys, i have either thrown them in the wash on a gentle cycle or thrown them in a wash inside a pillow case. So far, everything has come out ok. Obviously dont put in anything with electronics or cardboard. I usually don't put them in the dryer for more than a few minutes- then let them air dry.
    crazy4u49033

    Answer by crazy4u49033 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • White vinegar and mint Listerine. I saw this on "How Clean is Your House" or whatever that show is called...and it was brilliant! She took mint Listerine and cleaned all of the toys that toddlers suck on and chew on so the germs would be killed but they would not be exposed to anything too harsh. You can wipe down any surface safely with white vinegar and it cleans well enough for any home and won't expose your children to toxins like in chlorine bleach or ammonia.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • Go to the health food store and by grapefruit seed extract. Put 10 drops of extract for every 1 oz. of distilled (must be distilled) water. I mix it in a 20 oz. spray bottle (that means 200 drops of extract). Use this solution to spray all toys and even furniture if your baby chews on it (mine chews on the coffee table).

    Grapefruit seed extract is a natural antibacterial and antifungal (yep, it even kills thrush). It leaves your house smelling fresh.

    It's a cheap and safe way to sanitize everything.
    ThrivingMom

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

  • Thriving mom, you count out 200 drops? I'm impressed!! Is there another measurement that you can use?
    2PreemieGirls

    Answer by 2PreemieGirls at 5:27 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • Except that infants aren't supposed to have citrus and if they chew on the toys....even that small amount would give my kid a reaction. He has a citrus sensitivity.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • lysol,and you dont even have to wipe it off
    angelairelan

    Answer by angelairelan at 10:37 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • how often? Once a week should be fine. I always wash my toys after kids are over playing, or anyone has been sick also.
    citymama707

    Answer by citymama707 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

  • hot water and bleach in the sink.

    or a dishwasher.
    hypermamaz

    Answer by hypermamaz at 12:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN