How many ounces of breast milk should I pump for returning to work?

My son is 7 weeks old and I am pumping and freezing for when I go back to work. How many ounces should my husband give at each feeding?

ariesfool

Asked by ariesfool at 10:46 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1 1/4 oz for every hour it's been since his last feed. So if you're going to be gone 8 hours you would need 10 ounces of breastmilk, plus a little for if he's an extra hungry little bugger.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I leave a half of her weight in ounces for each feeding. So he has seven ounces on hand for each feeding the two nights I work.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• It's actually one ounce for every hour you are away from your baby. a great place for breastfeeding questions is

www.kellymom.com
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• How long are you going to be away? It depends on his weight, and, how his appetite is. Can you pump before you feed him to see how much he normally gets at a feeding, or weight him before and after (of course on a sensitive baby scale) and that will tell you how much he is getting at each feeding.
    2PreemieGirls

Answer by 2PreemieGirls at 11:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I would freeze milk in 2 ounce bags, so that he can defrost as needed. Have you tried pumping while nursing? Have the baby on one side, and pump the other. You can get a ton of milk this way, just an FYI. Will you be pumping at work, too? Just try to pump as much as you can, and stock up the freezer.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

This is a great article and it also contains a milk calculator.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:13 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Feeding BM has NOTHING TO DO WHAT WEIGHT...thats bad info and causes overfeeding...use the calculator everyone gave you.

PUMPING has nothing to do with seeing how much he gets either...

Weighing before and after a feeding only works if you do it many many times in one day one the very expensive scale the IBCLC have

ALL the other advice given was great but those were wrong so I wanted to correct them
    1-1.25 oz an hour or 24-30 oz in a 24 hour period...never over 5 oz bottles ever, always with a slow flow nipple
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 29, 2009