Wiccan Mothers.... What qualifies you as Wiccan?

Now, Ive always been against religion, but if I was to choose one, Id steer towards Wicca. I really appreciate alot of their beliefs. Ive read up on the subject alot, but Ive never claimed to be Wiccan. What, exactly, does it take to call yourself a true Wiccan? I mean, do you have to have an alter and practice spells regularly, or just believe in their beliefs? Also, is it true you have to be "pure" to be Wiccan? No toxins like alcohol or tobacco? Please, Id really like to kno.... Thank~you

TheLostMuppet

Asked by TheLostMuppet at 10:49 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you do have to be "pure" then my neighbor fails. Egad.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 10:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• No, you dont have to be "pure". Although others may argue differently.
    There are many different branches of Wicca and they will all have different answers as to how to "claim" wicca.
    I personally believe that in order to REALLY claim Wicca that you must study for a year and a day (solitary or with a coven) and then do an initiation.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:54 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I have a lot of Wiccan beleifs and hold the Wiccan sabbats, but I'm not wiccan... just pagan. It works for me :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Well, I'm not Wiccan, I'm Pagan. But many of the beliefs are the same for me. I guess if you want to get technical all you really need to have are the beliefs. But most will tell you it's not enough just to agree with the beliefs of any faith if you aren't living in accordance with those beliefs. So, most anyone that is living a "true" wiccan life will tell you that a life change is usually in order. A striving to live your life as a compliment to nature and not against it. And most will hold a monthly Esbat ritual as well as the Sabat rituals... Again, it's up to you, there are no Wicca Police that will come get you because you aren't doing things exactly right. But the main porpose is to honor nature and the Gods... If you aren't doing that then the beliefs mean nothing anyway.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• As for a need to be pure... No. There is no requirement. However, it's not usually a good idea to be doing any kind of rutual or magickal workings while drunk. But I think most feel that in moderation all things have their place.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:16 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• http://blessedbe.sugarbane.com/index.html

This sight is one of my new favs! It has some great information about what it really means to be Wiccan... It may help to answer some of your questions.

Other great sites to check out are:
    http://www.paganspath.com/
    http://paganwiccan.about.com/

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• First off... All Wiccans do not do spells/witchcraft as all witches are not of the Wiccan belief. You will get many different answers here...as mine is only mine...
    As for me I am a Wiccan - Witch... I do not celebrate all of the Sabbaths, nor hold a moon ritual each month. I am solitary in my practice and hold my beliefs in high regards. I do not cast or spell work all the time nor am I "Pure" (that would make my dh laugh....LOL)
    Paganism is a large tree with many branches and Wicca is only one of many beliefs on it. Many who practice Wicca also use bits and pieces of other Pagans beliefs.
    IMO, if you are drawn to it, have studied it, and in your daily living do try to follow the Wiccan ways then to me you would be considered Wiccan. Again you will get many views on this and take to heart that what FEELS right to YOU is right for YOU...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:55 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I can say why, as a Neopagan, I don't embrace the title of Wicca for myself, which I think answers the question from the other end. Simply because I don't follow the Wiccan Rede, I don't belong to any Wiccan group, & I wasn't initiated into the religion by a Wiccan. Also, while I share a lot of practice in common with Wiccans & have similar beliefs to most Wiccans, my beliefs & practices also include a lot of elements from other religions or philosophies. I don't believe that all people who use the term Wiccan to describe themselves need to meet the requirements that I listed to be "legit" (so to speak). I think if that is what one identifies with & shares a majority of beliefs & practices with the majority of established Wiccan groups, than that is the title one should embace & use.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 29, 2009