Witch Hunt

If you haven't seen this documentary, you need to. It addresses the 36 people which Kern County, CA falsely imprisoned for child molestation charges durring the early 80's. And will really shake your faith in the legal system, if you have any left that is.

My question is, even if you know nothing about these cases, what steps do YOU feel should or could be taken to further prevent the bully tactics that are often used against witnesses. In these cases the children were fed stories from prosicuters until the children said what they wanted them to. As a result 36 people were convicted and countless children's lives were greatly affected. How can this be stopped? Today, cases this extreme are very rare, but it still happens. There are thousands of innocents in prison, for reasons like this. How do we stop it?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:59 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• For those that would like to see the documentary. You can access it through the instant queue feature on Netflix or watch it on You Tube through a series of 9 videos... Here

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:02 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• What we need to stop this is responsible, consistant journalism and more involvement from the public.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Unfortunately without the journalism many of those in the public would never know about the cause in the first place. I think in many cases it's a necessary evil.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I read the book. There were other insane cases, such as McMartun Preschool.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:56 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• The same thing happened in Wenatchee, Washington. I don't have the links anymore, but you can just google it. It was incredible--there were literally THOUSANDS of charges against about a hundred residents of the town, many of them underpriveleged, mentally disabled or otherwise on the outer fringes of the mainstream. Lives were ruined, children were implanted with false memories, taken from loving homes, and now have to live with the guilt of saying what they were forced to when they were so small. Some children were adopted out of state and can never be recovered to their rightful parents.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:48 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• It's not that uncommon any more. My mother had my little brothers convinced that they had witnessed my father murdering virgin sacrifices and forcing them to do all kinds of horrible things to each other. The custody battle and criminal investigation went on for years. Years. Years in which my brothers say in foster care and bad things really did happen to them. She really played on peoples fears. The only thing that man ever worshipped was the dollar menu at McDonald's. Poor guy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:08 AM on Aug. 29, 2009