What are government czars?

In an effort to be fully informed about the government, I am trying to understand the czars that I keep hearing about. Does anyone know where I can find some information on how many there are, what their job is, etc? Is Obama the first to have government czars? Thanks for any information.

KathMW

Asked by KathMW at 11:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, he isn't. I know that Clinton had a drug czar. The czar is a person who is suppose to be knowledgable in an area of concern and can act as an advisor to the president. This person doesn't have to be vetted or confirmed by Congress. (S)he can have a nafarious background yet have unparalled and unequaled access to the president and influence the discissions and the policies. Some of the czars BO has appointed are quite scary. Some are admitted communist, admitted radicals who don't like America and have an admitted socialist agenda planned as outlined in their published works. I think he has 34 at last count. They are doing the work and he is playing golf.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• list of czars

Czar or Tsar : A Slavic emperor (not necessarily a Russian emperor); A high-rank political official of the executive branch: “drug czar”

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Crissy: I just looked at your link. Unbelievable! Thanks.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Czars = BO's goons hired to do his dirty work without having to answer to anyone.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• They are people in charge....they have always been in Government but they haven't been called "Czars", know what I mean? It seems this term spooks some people. Ignorance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• President Nixon had a "Drug Czar" and an "Energy Cazar" back about 35 - 40 years ago. So, does anyone still think it is only President Obama NOW? Well, that's not the case. They are people in charge and they are usually well trained and appropriate for being in charge of something. I don't know why you guys are harping on this issue. Nixon had them-all Presidents assign things to men or women who can do the job. Got it?Nixon was a Republican!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• 10:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 by: Anonymous

Nixon had 2 Obama is going on 28

Hell Regan only had 1
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I wanted to add the the "Czar' term is merely a catchy phrase being used. To imply that Reagan had only one person in a position like this is just ridiculous. Of course he had many. These are people who's task is to research, advise and recommend policy. Do you really think Reagan had only one person like this? Don't buy into the hyperbole, it just got trendy to name them Czars. Obama is also an activist...he is actively trying to inform himself on a huge variety of issues, and make sure that his agenda is successful. Whether you agree with his agenda or not, the fact is that's what he ran on, and that is what he is trying to do after being elected.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• The only people who call them czars are Republicans and pundits. If you want to sound like you know what you are actually talking about, then refer to them by their individual titles. Most of them are Associate directors working under Councilmen and council women on various issues.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 12:50 AM on Aug. 29, 2009