Double stroller for a baby and a toddler waste of money or good investment?

Can I have the Pros and Cons please!
My husband think it is a waste of money while I think it is a good idea down the road when we are ready for child number 2 lol!

momavanessa

Asked by momavanessa at 11:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• well, my daughter was 18 months when the baby was born and if you plan on going anywhere or going shopping then I think it's a good investment...I took them walking too..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• That's a tough one....I preferred not having a double stroller, but my toddler was very independent and walked everywhere on her own holding on to the stroller when she was just over 2. I think it truly depends on how often you are planning on using it. If you go for walks or to the park a lot it may be worth it, but if you are wanting to use it to go shopping I would NOT recommend it at all, they are cumbersome and difficult to maneuver through small areas. The one that I would consider if you really want to get one is the Joovy caboose....I think that is what it is called. Has a place for the infant to sit and the toddler can either sit or stand on the platform on the rear of the stroller behind the seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Depends on how much walking you like to do. We had one because our first two were only 15 months apart. There was no way I could go anywhere alone without it especially with my son weighing over 9lbs at birth (sure couldn't carry him without my back protesting).
    Ours got a lot of use because a year after that we had another one. My oldest was so small as a toddler that she could ride in the back with the baby in her lap while my son sat up front, lol.
    I also used it with my youngest even though my other children were old enough to walk when we were out. I just tossed the diaper bag in the front seat.
    The big con was the thing was big and heavy. It wouldn't fit in a small trunk (we had a van and it took up the entire back) but it was easy to push and had lots of room for the kids. We used it for 6 years until it was stolen (long story).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:45 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My boys were only 13 months apart so I used my double stroller all the time. I most likely would have never left the house if I didn't have it. They are now 20 months and 33 months and I still use it. We have a new baby (2 weeks old) so in a month or so when I am out and about all the time again (and she gets too heavy for the cuddle pack) the 2 yr old will graduate to walking and the younger two will use it. Before the new baby though if DH and I would go out together with the boys, to the mall or whatever, we just took two umbrella strollers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I am due in a month with my second, my first is 2 1/2 an I struggled with the same decision. My daughter likes to walk but still gets tired and I am not sure if the new baby will always want to be in a sling thing. I decided to buy one just to be safe. I like to go out a lot so I think I'll use it a lot and if I don't I'll probably just sell it. 

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 12:35 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think that a Sit and Stand is a good investment; there are different brands of this type. One Step Ahead has one, but their shipping is expensive.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:38 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• They are great just make sure you "test drive" before buying! my Jeep one is hell to steer and weighs a tun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• I think they are great, especially if your kids are close in age. Who wants to deal with a cranky toddler and a baby.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:42 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Great investment. I suggest going to babies'r'us or somewhere and test driving a bunch. That is what we did. I seen one I liked, but it ended up being hard to steer. We picked a different one and have had it for two years. We still use it especially when we go to fairs, malls, etc... Our boys are 6 and 2 and they both fit in it fine and love it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Like the anon, I had a Jeep one that sucked. However, now I have a sit and stand and it rocks. My 3 kids each have about 22 months between them, the oldest is almost 4. I use it all the time.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 3:51 AM on Aug. 29, 2009